Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pork Belly Burnt Ends  (Read 3265 times)

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
Pork Belly Burnt Ends
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »

Thanks to many on this site, I ventured out and did something new for me this weekend.  Pork Belly Burnt Ends.  I used some ideas I have seen on this site and others to create the dish.  In the end they came out great.  Very tender, sweet, juicy and some smoke as well.  Family loved them.  One change I might make next time is to cut my cubes a little smaller.  I cut the cubes a little more than an inch.  I am thinking if they were a little smaller, the fat might have rendered a little more.  I cooked relatively low at 225 and then 250,  to try and get more smoke, so cooking time was a little longer.  I have seen where you can cook at 275 for less time and get same results.  I decided to try the lower temps with this cook.  These were great though, don't get me wrong.

I started with a 8# belly I picked up at Costco.  Since this was my first time, and it was just the four of us, I decided to cut the belly in half.  I used half, 4#, vacuum sealed and froze the other half for later.

The Process I used for this cook:

*  Cut the belly into even (or as close as I could get) cubes just over 1 inch
*  Season all sides of the cubes with a locally sourced BBQ rub.  I am sure any rub would work well.
*  Let the rub work into the meat while the pit is coming up to temp.  Original temp was set at 225.
*  Place the meat on the pit set at 225 for 1 hour.  Since I have a Rec Tec, I also used the Extreme Smoke option.  For ease of handling, I also put the meat on a wire rack, frog mat would work
*  After 1 hour of smoke at 225, turned the pit up to 250 for 2 hours.
*  After 2 hours, took the meat off and put into a disposable half tin.  I added a couple of handful of brown sugar, honey, maple syrup and a stick of butter to create a braising liquid.
*  Sealed the half tin with aluminum foil and back on the pit for 2 hours at 250
*  Took the tin off the pit, and drained the braising liquid into a bowl. 
*  Tossed the cubes with a glaze to cover all sides, and back in the pit for 30 minutes to set the glaze.
*  After 30 minutes, removed from the pit and onto a platter.  Hmm Hmm good.

*  Glaze Recipe -- This made more than I needed saved the rest and my son used as a sauce for a grilled chicken sammy he made.

*  1 cup of BBQ sauce - ( I used half dinosaur sensuous slathering and half Sweet Baby Rays Original because it is what I had available and needed to finish them)
          *  1 Tablespoon Sriracha Sauce (Any hot sauce would do, I even thought about cayenne might have been good.  Or none at all heat is not for you, although might need a dash of            vinegar to break up all the sweetness)
          *  1/4 cup apple juice
          *  1/4 cup peach preserves (Saw it in the store, looked good, something I don't normally use, so gave it a try)
          *  A couple teaspoons of rub originally used as the seasoning for the belly.

Started with 4# Pork Belly
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Cubed and Rubbed waiting for the Pit
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

After 1 hour on the pit at 225 before turning temp to 250 (Sorry did not get a pic when pulled off)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

In the tin with ingredients to create braising liquid
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

After 2 hours of braising
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

After 30 minutes with the glaze (I did not get a picture of the burnt ends with the glaze mixture before going back on the pit)
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Plated
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Pork Belly Burnt Ends
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »

Those look great, I've bookmarked this post so that I can give them a try on my next try.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »

Lovely tutorial.  Would you mind if I moved it to the "Here's How I Cook...Pork"?  I think this could be helpful to a lot of folks.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »

Subjective questions and I realize you are not a mind reader...

A person who wants very crisp bacon because they do not like the mouth feel of bacon fat, how do you think they would like these...

I am thinking if they were a little smaller, the fat might have rendered a little more.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »

Hi Kristin, no problem with moving the thread to another area of the site.  Thanks.

Bent, not what I meant, I guess I did not word it well.  Would not want these crispy, and the bacon fat is what makes these so good.  I was thinking if they were cut a little smaller, fat would render and the final product would be smaller cubes, more towards bite sized.  I was just stating my thought after making these for the first time.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »

You worded it perfectly, I just have issues being succinct.  I was more curious about how much fat had to rendered out before they became tasty without it tasting like a glob of fat.  I enjoy very crispy bacon or floppy bacon, as long as the fat has lost that fatty flavor.  I have had some rib-eye steaks where the fat flavor was spectacular, but you wanted to just suck the fat then spit out as it was not pleasant to eat like the meat.

When I make the Hong Shao Rue it is supposed to be the same, tender pork belly that has flavor but you are not turned off by eating the fat in the belly! I think I have my answer.  You are using what I call a green belly, it has not been cured?

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

You are using what I call a green belly, it has not been cured?

This question came up earlier related to Costco's bellies, so I asked the butcher there if there was salt or cure added and he said that there were no additives to their product.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

I know the Bellies at Costco and RD are green, I wanted to know if they had been cured once bought.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:12:00 PM »

I have several recipes bookmarked to try and I have reread them and nothing is mentioned about curing.

Will I need to cure this?  I have a package from Winn Dixie that I cut in half due to the size.  When I went to Costco they were all way to big for what I wanted.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »

I doubt this was anything but just pure uncured belly!  I just like to make sure.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »

Hey Bent. This was uncured belly. The curing process is on my list of things to try eventually.

mcdader

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »

Thanks for the recipe.  Gave this a try and turned out great.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »

I will be doing these today.  They are in the fridge with the rub on them now. This is a small package that made only 15 pieces 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".  I don't have the apple jelly so I will not be doing a glaze.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »

I will be doing these today.  They are in the fridge with the rub on them now. This is a small package that made only 15 pieces 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".  I don't have the apple jelly so I will not be doing a glaze.

Awesome reubenray, look forward to seeing how they turned out.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »

How would I know when they have smoked long enough in the first step?  Each smoker has different actual temperatures.  I know the fat has to render.

I may do a maple syrup and apple juice glaze.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:29:59 PM by reubenray »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up