Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by LowSlowFoShow on 04 Sep 2017
  • One of the cheapest ways to feed a lot of people (besides Top Ramen) is pulled pork.  Pork shoulder, butt, or whatever you preferer to call it is dirt cheap.  Here are 2 - 7.5lb butts I coated in sriracha, then layered on Butt Rub and Tony Cs. I cut up the fat side and refrigerate it for 24 hours.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I normally use Hickory pellets and will start cooking them the night before I am serving it.  I use the GMG profile: 185 for 90 mins, 200 for 90 mins then 225 until its done. Here they are around 8pm last night:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

and around 8am this morning:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

They came off around 2:30pm and are in cooler resting before I pull them.   :pig:
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Sep 2017
  • I have never cooked them in a pan from start to finish or ever for that matter.  Do you feel that the smoke penetrates all parts of the meat?  Do you get enough bark?  Do you use the pan for any purpose other than it keeps the grill clean?  Sorry for all the questions.  I have never seen pork shoulder cooked that way and I am curious.
  • #3 by InThePitBBQ on 04 Sep 2017
  • I have never cooked them in a pan from start to finish or ever for that matter.  Do you feel that the smoke penetrates all parts of the meat?  Do you get enough bark?  Do you use the pan for any purpose other than it keeps the grill clean?  Sorry for all the questions.  I have never seen pork shoulder cooked that way and I am curious.
    As am I, is a portion of that rendered fat retained to coat the meat once it's pulled? I normally get somewhere in the area of 4-6 cups of rendered fat off two butts in the catch can.

I like my pork done a little more on the internal temp than some but it does pull more uniformly, only downside is it can be a bit dry.
    • InThePitBBQ
  • #4 by Bentley on 04 Sep 2017
  • Pour off the liquid into container.  Put container in fridge over night, take pork fat disk off in morning, save for Biscuits....underneath it is the in famous Butt Jell-o!  Much prized to add back to PP!
  • #5 by pmillen on 04 Sep 2017
  • Pour off the liquid into container.  Put container in fridge over night, take pork fat disk off in morning, save for Biscuits....underneath it is the in famous Butt Jell-o!  Much prized to add back to PP!

YES!
  • #6 by LowSlowFoShow on 05 Sep 2017
  • I normally use a cooling rack to raise them up but decided to try it without and it worked just fine and lots of bark.  I added back about 2 cups of the run off for extra flavor! 
  • #7 by Quadman750 on 05 Sep 2017
  • I kinda to do the same,  I put my pork butts on the top shelf and I put my foil pans on the bottom shelf below them to catch all the drippings
  • #8 by Jcorwin818 on 07 Sep 2017
  • First 8 Butts I have to cook for my wife's church picnic which is Sunday.  Bought 16 Butts (2 cases) from Sam's at 1.66/lb. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by TechMOGogy on 08 Sep 2017
  • Thats a lot of meat piled in there!
    Keep us posted and I love the custom pellet hopper extension
  • #10 by Jcorwin818 on 08 Sep 2017
  • Thats a lot of meat piled in there!
    Keep us posted and I love the custom pellet hopper extension

Smiple and fast a little tape and cardboard and it worked like a charm.  All 16 done and shredded and in the frig.  Tomorrow will dress them with some more rub, pork broth, BBQ Sauce thinned with apple juice and they will be ready for delivery to the church.  It's been fun but a lot work just with my Texas and a borrowed Jr.
  • #11 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2017
  • Not Butt Jello, but same idea!

Brisket Jello

Pour off the liquid into container.  Put container in fridge over night, take pork fat disk off in morning, save for Biscuits....underneath it is the in famous Butt Jell-o!  Much prized to add back to PP!
  • #12 by SmokinHandyman on 17 Sep 2017
  • Not Butt Jello, but same idea!

Brisket Jello

Pour off the liquid into container.  Put container in fridge over night, take pork fat disk off in morning, save for Biscuits....underneath it is the in famous Butt Jell-o!  Much prized to add back to PP!

Got to have the jello.  :clap:
  • #13 by TLK on 17 Sep 2017

YES!

+2
  • #14 by DaisyCutter on 06 Oct 2018
  • The solid pork fat is great for refried beans, FYI.  :P
  • #15 by Bentley on 06 Oct 2018
  • That is a much better idea then biscuits!

The solid pork fat is great for refried beans, FYI.  :P
Pages:
Actions