Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Jun 2018
  • $98 at the big A right now.  I have not seen it go below $109 for quite some time.  Supposed to be one of the best sous vide units on the market if someone is looking to buy one.  Won't get a better price than right now.
  • #2 by pz on 12 Jun 2018
  • That's a heck of a deal - at that price I'd definitely get one if I did not already have it.
  • #3 by hughver on 12 Jun 2018
  • Different products cook at varying temperatures so having two or three is handy. I have three  Anova's, two 800W and one 1000W. Vegetables normally cook in the 180° range and meats much lower.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Jun 2018
  • $100 right now
  • #5 by yorkdude on 17 Jun 2018
  • I need to get serious about using it. I remember that FMT, leaned toward a rarely used gadget. I'm thinking he was onto something, seems to require a tad more planning than this family has the patience for? Am going to get a after it soon, I think?
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jul 2018
  • $89 now
  • #7 by Bentley on 14 Jul 2018
  • That is what I was afraid of for myself...it is happening to me, I am not used to having to plan a 24-36 hour cook of a main course.  Although after that last Brisket, I am going to do some cheap beef and see how it does on Beef Stroganoff!

I need to get serious about using it. I remember that FMT, leaned toward a rarely used gadget. I'm thinking he was onto something, seems to require a tad more planning than this family has the patience for? Am going to get a after it soon, I think?
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jul 2018
  • At $89 I am very tempted to buy a 2nd unit.
  • #9 by slaga on 14 Jul 2018
  • I just bought a second one.
  • #10 by Craig in Indy on 16 Jul 2018
  • Thanks for the heads-up. I jumped on it Saturday and it was in my hands by Sunday afternoon.

Of course I'll read the instructions thoroughly ( ::) ), but if anyone has any immediate tips for use, I'd love to hear them. No dedicated container yet - we'll just be using it with standard pots. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to do this was to avoid the problem of plastic bags melting when they contact a metal pot on a fire. Seems even when they contain water, some part of the bag wants to touch the bare metal above the surface. I'm hoping this device will keep the temperature of the metal pot below the plastic-melting point.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jul 2018
  • Thanks for the heads-up. I jumped on it Saturday and it was in my hands by Sunday afternoon.

Of course I'll read the instructions thoroughly ( ::) ), but if anyone has any immediate tips for use, I'd love to hear them. No dedicated container yet - we'll just be using it with standard pots. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to do this was to avoid the problem of plastic bags melting when they contact a metal pot on a fire. Seems even when they contain water, some part of the bag wants to touch the bare metal above the surface. I'm hoping this device will keep the temperature of the metal pot below the plastic-melting point.

The metal pot should not get hotter than the water in it based on the temp you set on the Anova.  Like you, I am a newbie to this and have only used my Chefman 2x.  There are a lot of guys that have probably 100s of cooks to their name on here.
  • #12 by Craig in Indy on 16 Jul 2018
  • I understand the pot won't get any hotter than the water temp, and I apologize if my poorly worded comment didn't make that clear. I was only mentioning that the elimination of that worry is my primary reason for getting the device (at least initially). So far, when heating vacuum-bagged leftover BBQ, I by far prefer hot water immersion to other methods, but have always struggled to keep bags, especially cheap zip-locks, from touching the flame-heated pots and melting there. At some point in the future I'll try actually *cooking* with it.  ;)
  • #13 by WiPelletHead on 16 Jul 2018
  • Amazon has the WI-Fi Bluetooth Anova for $74.00 right now.

Just ordered mine as thats the best price I've seen for it.

Not sure how long the price will last.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jul 2018
  • Just tried buying one and it won't let me checkout.  It keeps crashing.  Not sure if it is this item or their business in general not being able to keep up with all of the orders.
  • #15 by slaga on 16 Jul 2018
  • When I can get to it, the Anova is now $109.
Pages:
Actions