Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BC Buck on 14 Jun 2018
  • Dad wanted to try beef ribs for fathers day. Where is good place to find info so I dont mess them up. Also what type of pellet do you recommend. Thanks
  • #2 by CaptJerry on 14 Jun 2018
  • Salt Pepper Garlic. A little Montreal steak.
    Mesquite for beef.
    Depending on how much meat is on the bones, it usually will take a little longer than spares.
    I do mine at 250 until color I want, then wrap, cook until tender.
    Beef ribs are my favorite. Finding decent ones where I live is nearly impossible.
  • #3 by Dave R. on 14 Jun 2018
  • Check out Malcom Reeds you tube channel or go to his web site named "How to bbq Right" and search beef ribs. He does a soft sell on rubs he makes but does a great job of describing the process he goes through for all of his cooks. No doubt other members here will chime in and what they share is worthy of following also.
  • #4 by keithj69 on 14 Jun 2018
  • If you do not have the beef ribs yet, You can hit up the butchers at Sam's and get beef short ribs before they cut them up.
  • #5 by triplebq on 14 Jun 2018
  • #6 by Bentley on 14 Jun 2018
  • Thanks to those trying to help with personal experience and not directing someone to another site...
  • #7 by BC Buck on 14 Jun 2018
  • If you do not have the beef ribs yet, You can hit up the butchers at Sam's and get beef short ribs before they cut them up.
    I talked to them and they said never have seen them in store. Told them Sams web sight shows they are available in my store. Was told to call store manager tomorrow.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 14 Jun 2018
  • Dave R, just curious -- have you ever cooked beef ribs?
  • #9 by Dave R. on 15 Jun 2018
    Yes. I followed the method I suggested. Is that a problem? It's not a competing web site so thought it may help the OP with other cooks he may want to try.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Jun 2018
    Yes. I followed the method I suggested. Is that a problem? It's not a competing web site so thought it may help the OP with other cooks he may want to try.

No, I had just hoped you could personalize the cook.  "I followed this method on my X pellet pit using the time and temps exactly and the ribs turned out the best I have ever cooked."  or "I followed the method, but put on smoke for the first 3 hours and then did X,Y,Z".... just something which would share your personal experience with the method you are referencing.

And, at least in my mind, it is a competing site.  We are here to share info on pellet cooking and bbq'ing -- it is just that we aren't trying to make money off it and Malcolm is.  So it is irritating when members who get to enjoy the non-commercial aspects of this site start referring folks to sites where the person makes money off those visits.
  • #11 by Dave R. on 15 Jun 2018

No, I had just hoped you could personalize the cook.  "I followed this method on my X pellet pit using the time and temps exactly and the ribs turned out the best I have ever cooked."  or "I followed the method, but put on smoke for the first 3 hours and then did X,Y,Z".... just something which would share your personal experience with the method you are referencing.

And, at least in my mind, it is a competing site.  We are here to share info on pellet cooking and bbq'ing -- it is just that we aren't trying to make money off it and Malcolm is.  So it is irritating when members who get to enjoy the non-commercial aspects of this site start referring folks to sites where the person makes money off those visits.

I could have done that by explaining how I do them but the videos are so much better at explaining the process than I am. Also I am a visual learner more so than learning by reading and looking at photos so watching videos helps me in that regard and there is a good chance others are the same. I consider sites such as yours as a go to resource but I also on occasion will check out youtube videos to have more variety.
    I agree he does a soft sell on his rubs etc. but he also provides his recipe for the AP rub so we could make our own if we so chose. He also encourages others to use whatever rub they prefer so it can't get much softer than that when it comes to offering a product for sale. I think his income whatever that is is generated more from his youtube channel than his web site. I understand your point but for us to be educated we shouldn't shy away from other resources. Simply don't share links is your desire so not a problem. I'll not share or reference any links in the future. Like I said in another thread, it's your site, your rules. If I don't like them I can always go elsewhere.
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Jun 2018
  • Just some food for thought -- Malcolm doesn't reference our site or allow folks to come on his site and refer his readers to other sites.  So I guess Malcolm doesn't want folks to be broadly educated or be a "go to resource" for bbq'ing, he just wants them learning his method.  Kind of one dimensional. Yet folks here will refer people to his site and away from ours.  Just trying to explain why I don't get it.
  • #13 by Dave R. on 15 Jun 2018
  • Just some food for thought -- Malcolm doesn't reference our site or allow folks to come on his site and refer his readers to other sites.  So I guess Malcolm doesn't want folks to be broadly educated or be a "go to resource" for bbq'ing, he just wants them learning his method.  Kind of one dimensional. Yet folks here will refer people to his site and away from ours.  Just trying to explain why I don't get it.
    That may be true but I sure have not read that on his site, but assuming it's true his web site is not a discussion group such as this. He simply does videos on how he does his cooks and not once have I heard him say not to try any other methods in fact it's much so the opposite. Thats fine if thats your rule, but from my perspective to much of this going on these days with everyone telling others what they can and can't do. I'm do xxxx old for that.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jun 2018
    That may be true but I sure have not read that on his site, but assuming it's true his web site is not a discussion group such as this. He simply does videos on how he does his cooks and not once have I heard him say not to try any other methods in fact it's much so the opposite. Thats fine if thats your rule, but from my perspective to much of this going on these days with everyone telling others what they can and can't do. I'm do xxxx old for that.

I think part of what they are asking is for you to include and share some of your personal experience with that particular cook rather than I just did what was in the video.  I think even if you gave a brief overview of what you learned in the video that could also be helpful.
  • #15 by Bentley on 15 Jun 2018
  • Then this is not the site for you, no matter what your age is...And to put it into a scenario maybe you will get.  You invite me to your house for fried chicken dinner, I eat it, then tell you should have just picked up some KFC, it would have been better chicken!

Thats fine if thats your rule, but from my perspective to much of this going on these days with everyone telling others what they can and can't do. I'm do xxxx old for that.
Pages:
Actions