Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GatorDave on 15 Jun 2018
  • I'm still trying to narrow down my choice of pellet grill, and I came across the information below on Grilla Grills website.  Does this sound legit, or is it just marketing trying to convince me I don't need to spend the money on a pit with a PID controller?

"PID CONTROLLERS FOR PELLET GRILLS:
    DO THEY PRODUCE A BETTER COOK?

Let’s talk pellet grill controllers. Most consumer pellet grills have a temperature controller designed to adjust auger feed and fan speed as a way to maintain the smoke chamber at the desired temperature. There are a variety of controllers on the market, ranging from analog dial to digital push button to PID controller.

The type of controller, like any other pellet grill feature, influences the purchasing decision, but often for the wrong reasons. A PID controller for a pellet grill, for example, is a fairly sophisticated industrial mechanism that uses a continuous feedback loop to make very precise adjustments of the fan and auger. That may be all well and good, but the end goal is not just temperature control but temperature control that produces the best quality and quantity of smoke. If the goal was simply precise temperature control, then why not just cook your ribs and brisket in the oven.

In fact, a digital controller, one that allows a +/- 10*F temperature swing (as opposed to the +/- .5*F swing of the PID) may actually produce MORE good smoke because of more pellet smoldering in the temperature cycle. We believe that’s one reason why Grilla and Silverbac produce a smoke flavor equal to or superior than any PID grill on the market.

We’re not stating that the PID controller is not a good controller. We’re simply pointing out that there is no documented evidence that correlates better smoke production or flavor to the more costly PID controller.

Grilla Grills doesn’t believe in frills that offer pretend luxury. We don’t want excess. We want results. So, rely on Grilla Grills to deliver maximum smoke when you set the digital temperature control. Flowing from under the rack, the robust smoke produces the deep, rich, unbeatable flavor.

And remember to use a meat thermometer too when checking if your cook is ready for the table!"
  • #2 by TheFatTick on 15 Jun 2018
  • Larger temperature swings would not be my first strategy for improving my smoke quality.

The idea that tighter temperature control has a negative impact on the ability to generate quality smoke seems like a stretch.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jun 2018
  • hahaha...great marketing speel!

have you ever eaten anything off of any pellet grill?   if not, you should do that first.

I have 5 different pellet grills on my patio.  Not sure any of them produce a different flavor.  They do however have different pros and cons.  And my grills range from $400 to $5000 each.

This is probably a similar marketing story from hibachi to Weber charcoal to propane.
  • #4 by slaga on 16 Jun 2018
  • I've never seen a pellet grill that keeps temps within 0.5 * of the set temperature, PID or no PID. The fact the pellets are not uniform in size, specifically the length, prevents any controller from being that precise. So that is this manufacturer's hyperbole.

I do not subscribe to the idea that a PID is the best controller. I would rather have a controller that allows the user the ability to pick the minimum flow rate and the maximum flow rate and it just oscillates between the 2 as it passes the set temperature. Then the user has the ability to program the amount of temp swing on a cook by cook basis.
  • #5 by GatorDave on 16 Jun 2018
  • So what is the real difference between a PID controller and an electronic controller?  It seems like they both feed pellets to keep a set temp.  One seems like it has a bit tighter control than the other, but other than that what is the real difference?
  • #6 by MP09 on 17 Jun 2018
  • Rec Tec has a good video explaining the difference
  • #7 by GatorDave on 17 Jun 2018
  • Rec Tec has a good video explaining the difference

Do you have a link to this video.  I'm having difficulty finding it.  I have found a ton on their smart grill technology, but none explaining the difference between and electronic controller (i'm assuming plc) and a pid controller.
  • #8 by grilltreats on 17 Jun 2018
  • Having a PID controller on my RT, I can tell you that it is very precise as precise can be dealing with pellets.  On a long cook it will not swing more than 5 degrees if that.  You want smoke just keep it under 275 and it will smoke as long as you have pellets in the hopper.  It controls the fan in an on/off fashion and runs the auger as needed, and not continuously.  The only con to note I guess is that it will slow the feed rate as it gets closer to the set point so as not to go over it which could cause a slight delay in reaching the set point.  This is easily overcome by setting the temp higher and then when it reaches your set point just change the set point setting back, but get ready for some extra smoke as it slows the feed rate and pluses the fan motor.  The auger feed percentage is easily controlled by the phone app so if want some extra smoke you can get it by fooling it temporally as it readjusts itself to match the set point.  The default is 65% and if out directly in the heat and wanting 225, I find lowering the percentage down is a quick fix to get the RT back under control.  If in very cold weather I would do the opposite if 65% couldn't keep up with my higher set points.  As long as the ambient temps are within its 65% capabilities no adjustments are required.  I have noticed that if I lower the feed rate percentage it still feeds what it needs to maintain the set point even at higher temp set points, but I'm sure there is a point where the auger percentage would need to be increased to keep up.  My RT produces a lot more smoke and for the entire cook compared to my KJ on the low and slow cooks.  It is just a much cleaner blue smoke and is not bitter which I was use to.  I can really taste the actual Hickory flavor now instead the harsh bitter flavor produced from the KJ charcoal grill.  It does take some getting use to.  There are some charcoal pellets and 100% Hickory wood pellets or others that if used will help get you over that hump when converting over to a pellet grill from a charcoal cooker.
  • #9 by TheStand on 17 Jun 2018
  • I've never seen a pellet grill that keeps temps within 0.5 * of the set temperature, PID or no PID. The fact the pellets are not uniform in size, specifically the length, prevents any controller from being that precise. So that is this manufacturer's hyperbole.

I do not subscribe to the idea that a PID is the best controller. I would rather have a controller that allows the user the ability to pick the minimum flow rate and the maximum flow rate and it just oscillates between the 2 as it passes the set temperature. Then the user has the ability to program the amount of temp swing on a cook by cook basis.

You just described the Savannah Stoker Controller.

I set my Minimum (outL) and my maximum (outH). The difference is that it doesn't just go between the two. It uses the "autotune" feature to determine how your grill responds to temp changes and then uses that info to control the temps. It determines the percentage of pellet drop in a 20 second cycle time to reach the desired temp. Bump it a few degrees and you only need maybe 15% of that time (or 3 secs auger time every 20secs). jump from 200 to 350 and it says you'll need 80% (or 16 secs every 20 sec cycle) and then it will decrease that number as you get closer so you won't overshoot but a few degrees.
  • #10 by triplebq on 17 Jun 2018
  • I guess I will throw my  :2cents: in.

I have owned the following:
    - PG500 (Non PID)
    - FEC-120 (Non PID)
    - YS640 (Non PID)
    - Blaz'n Grid Iron (PID)

In my opinion they all performed excellent and I never had any major temp swing out of any of my pits. I see the PID vs. Non PID controller as all marketing. If your desire is to try and get your pit to run as even to the set temp as possible go for a PID. That is what they are designed to do. When I cook on my Blaz'n or FEC-120 I can't tell any difference in the quality of the cook due to the type of controller.

Just my  :2cents:
  • #11 by TheStand on 17 Jun 2018
  • So what is the real difference between a PID controller and an electronic controller?  It seems like they both feed pellets to keep a set temp.  One seems like it has a bit tighter control than the other, but other than that what is the real difference?

With a standard controller the pellet delivery is controlled by a timing cycle. If set for 225 it will deliver pellet for a set time with no consequence to temp. It won't stop the auger (if in the middle of a cycle) if your set temp is reached. So you will overshoot and depending on that cycle and timing, it could overshoot quite a bit. Once temp is reached (or over) it falls back to a maintain cycle, (so many seconds auger on and then so many seconds off). This might, depending on pellets, outside temps and other factors cause the temp to drop, remain about the same or even increase, but that timing is not dependent on your grills temp (which is how a PID works).
  • #12 by TheStand on 17 Jun 2018
  • I guess I will throw my  :2cents: in.

I have owned the following:
    - PG500 (Non PID)
    - FEC-120 (Non PID)
    - YS640 (Non PID)
    - Blaz'n Grid Iron (PID)

In my opinion they all performed excellent and I never had any major temp swing out of any of my pits. I see the PID vs. Non PID controller as all marketing. If your desire is to try and get your pit to run as even to the set temp as possible go for a PID. That is what they are designed to do. When I cook on my Blaz'n or FEC-120 I can't tell any difference in the quality of the cook due to the type of controller.

Just my  :2cents:

Agree 100%...

If the temp swings bother you... Get a PID. But you'll get the same smoke out of both!
  • #13 by hughver on 17 Jun 2018
  • If set for 225 it will deliver pellet for a set time with no consequence to temp.

This is not true for my non-PID Traeger controller except when set to smoke. Any setting other than smoke, the auger runs full time until the set temperature is reached and then it reverts to the smoke mode until the temperature goes below the set temperature. The auger then starts continuous as the cycle repeats. In the smoke mode, it is a predetermined on-off cycle controlled by the P setting with no regard to temperature.   :2cents:
  • #14 by triplebq on 17 Jun 2018
  • If set for 225 it will deliver pellet for a set time with no consequence to temp.

This is not true for my non-PID Traeger controller except when set to smoke. Any setting other than smoke, the auger runs full time until the set temperature is reached and then it reverts to the smoke mode until the temperature goes below the set temperature. The auger then starts continuous as the cycle repeats. In the smoke mode, it is a predetermined on-off cycle controlled by the P setting with no regard to temperature.   :2cents:

I'm sure Non Pid controllers use a home grown Algorithm to run the auger. I assume this is how my Yoder and Cookshack's controllers work. Just a different method to get the desired result.
  • #15 by TheStand on 17 Jun 2018

Unless your Traeger is different than the others I've worked on.. The only time the auger is "full time" is at start up and even that is for a set time. Then after startup if the temp is below the set temp it has a programmed cycle time to raise the temp to the desired temp. And then after that... Yes, if it is at or above set temp it runs on a "Pause" timing depending on the 'P" setting. With a standard "non pid" controller the auger is controlled by 2 factors. Is the actual temp below set temp? If yes then run the raise temp cycle... Or is the actual temp equal to or above the set temp? If yes then run the selected Pause "P' cycle.

If your grill was 15° below the desired set temp and the auger ran full time until it reached the set temp... Think about how long it takes a grill to respond. To increase 15° on the RTD might take 5 or more minutes. Now run the auger full time for 5 minutes and the grill temp would probably rise about 100°+ instead of the 15° needed.
Pages:
Actions