Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 17 Jun 2018

•  Has anyone "smoked" garlic? Not the whole bulb drizzled w/ oil, just the cloves.

As my garlic will be harvested in a few weeks, I was thinking of smoking some..My idea is to slice the cloves, spread them out evenly, one slice high and smoke @ 180º to dehydrate and smoke.

Labor intensive and hopefully rewarding.

Your thoughts please.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Jun 2018
  • I like the idea and look forward to some pics.  How do you intend to store the final product?
  • #3 by Canadian John on 17 Jun 2018

•  Not exactly sure on storage for now.. Thinking airtight container, cool location and out of the sun..Due to its dehydrated state and smoke content it should have a rather long shelf like. I hope.
  • #4 by Bentley on 17 Jun 2018
  • I have always left in clove and cooked on pit until soft and sugars have come out.  It is almost like a spread at this point. Bad part is, most of the garlic flavor is gone.  But folks who are not fans of most garlic seem to like it.
  • #5 by Chris__M on 19 Jun 2018
  • When I found myself with a large garlic harvest (I'd never grown it before, so I went overboard), I separated it into peeled cloves, then split the bounty in half. Half was left unsmoked, the other half I cold smoked, with hickory. They were then put in separate labelled containers and stored in the freezer.

That was a couple of years back. The smoked garlic has long gone, but I still am using the unsmoked garlic from the freezer. It practically turns to paste in the pan, but the flavour is still good.
  • #6 by mowin on 20 Jun 2018
  • When I found myself with a large garlic harvest (I'd never grown it before, so I went overboard), I separated it into peeled cloves, then split the bounty in half. Half was left unsmoked, the other half I cold smoked, with hickory. They were then put in separate labelled containers and stored in the freezer.

That was a couple of years back. The smoked garlic has long gone, but I still am using the unsmoked garlic from the freezer. It practically turns to paste in the pan, but the flavour is still good.

How long and at what temp to you smoke it? 
  • #7 by Chris__M on 21 Jun 2018
  • Cold smoked, so no heat at all. I think I smoked it for about 5-6 hours (although it is long time ago! :D )
  • #8 by mowin on 21 Jun 2018
  • Cold smoked, so no heat at all. I think I smoked it for about 5-6 hours (although it is long time ago! :D )

Thanks.   Definitely going to give it a try.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 29 Jun 2018

• Me too. That sounds just the way to do it. 
  • #10 by grilltreats on 29 Jun 2018
  • Me Three!  I like the idea of smoking them.  Too late for this years harvest (in May), but next year...
  • #11 by Canadian John on 30 Jun 2018
  • Me Three!  I like the idea of smoking them.  Too late for this years harvest (in May), but next year...
    Nashville, OK.. Here in S. W. Ontario, my garlic crop is days away from pulling..I will be trying the slice and smoke method soon.
  • #12 by Bobitis on 30 Jun 2018
  • Can anyone elaborate on the prep and smoking method?

I'm assuming that these are peeled cloves. What would be the benefit if halving them? I can understand that a higher temp would yield a 'mushier' product. With cold smoking, do you save as is, or chop/puree them?

I was always under the impression that garlic cloves should be mashed to get the most flavor out. Does that hold true if smoked? One would think so if cold smoked. If hot smoked, does it even matter? Does elephant garlic act the same?

Has anyone tried the same with shallots?

Pages:
Actions