Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Franklin Barbecue  (Read 1383 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Franklin Barbecue
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »

I have always found if I have to wait in line for food, a long time, and I would consider 45 minutes a long time.  There is no way the food can ever live up to what I think it should be.  I am sure it is very fine food, I know for me, there is no food on earth worth waiting 3 hours in line for.  I believe this is how some stay in business, that mystique...as you said, almost all out of towners. 

What person with a job can stand in line for 3 hours for food?

He is like the Disneyland of Brisket!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:17:56 AM »

Yes in Competition we always mark the Brisket so we cut across the grain.

Do people mark the way the grain is before cooking the brisket? I can pretty much look at a brisket and tell which way the grain is. If I get it wrong I just start cutting it the opposite way.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

JoeGrilling

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »

Though three and a half hours is a long time, it went by fairly quickly.  The weather was not all that hot.  There were lots of great people from all over the US to talk to in line.

My son made an interesting comment while we were eating.  He commented that Franklin's brisket was good but felt mine was better.  My 21 year old son is no BBQ judge but thought the grade of meat made the difference.  I follow the Bentley's Basic Method and we had it at home the weekend before for his graduation party. 

Just a side note.  My son's graduation was the second time I cooked for my wife's family using the Traeger.  The first time was last September for her younger sister's birthday party.  I made 3-2-1 St Louis style ribs that time.  My brother-in-law tried to get my wife to let him take ribs home instead of left over birthday cake.  My son and I went fishing with him a few days after the graduation party.  He commented that the next day after the party his wife made him go out to buy a Traeger.  Another convert!

The thing I like best about Texas is BBQ is everywhere.  My friend took my son out to Cooper's before he flew back to California for his graduation party.  My son is still talking about the how great the dino bones were.  I flew back to Texas with him to move him into his place in Houston.  My friend's wife recommended going to a chain called "Rudys".  It was good but nothing compared to Franklin's.           

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »

I don't doubt it!

My son made an interesting comment while we were eating.  He commented that Franklin's brisket was good but felt mine was better.       
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »

I went to Rudy's about 8 years ago when I was in that area.  I thought the jalapeno sausage was great, brisket was pretty good, and the ribs were average at best.  Neat atmosphere though.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

JoeGrilling

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »

I went to Rudy's about 8 years ago when I was in that area.  I thought the jalapeno sausage was great, brisket was pretty good, and the ribs were average at best.  Neat atmosphere though.
We had the jalapeno sausage.  It was pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up