Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Puddle jumping from Tulsa to Ponca City for Lunch and Tour  (Read 1359 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Puddle jumping from Tulsa to Ponca City for Lunch and Tour
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »

I'm thinking of making a tour (if allowed) of the CookShack factory in Ponca City soon.  My daughter would fly me there for lunch at Enrique's (locally famous Mexican Restaurant which is right on the landing strip) and we could walk over to the factory which is a couple of blocks. Should be a fun trip. Could I report the results on this forum? ???

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Puddle jumping from Tulsa to Ponca City for Lunch and Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »

I would think Cookshack would allow you to visit.

I have asked for a PG5000 (larger version of a PG500) but I don't think that is on the roadmap  ;D
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »

I would also love a home size rotisserie smoker from Cookshack as well.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »

We would love for you to report on your trip.  Please take lots of photos and if you meet Stuart tell him Bentley and Kristin say hi!

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »

We would love for you to report on your trip.  Please take lots of photos and if you meet Stuart tell him Bentley and Kristin say hi!
Will do, if they will accommodate us.  Next Tues, we have the plane.  Will keep you informed. 
 :cool:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »

Would be great to have your comments!  You are going to contact them before you show up?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »

Enrique's rocks!
I did a tour of Cookshack years ago when I did my judging class and then did a tour of Head Country (a few doors down) when I was importing their sauce.
Keep us posted on your lunch and tour (if Stuart lets you in :) )
Dan
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

okie smokie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »

Would be great to have your comments!  You are going to contact them before you show up?
Yes that is my plan.  Already received a welcome any time, just call ahead.  Looks like next Tues won't be good for me, so will do it later.  May just drive up with my wife for lunch and a visit.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

Cool!

sac3848

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »

Attended the competition cooking class last Dec in Ponca. I am not a competition cook but learned a lot Well worth going Missed Enriques! Another excuse to go back!

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »

Attended the competition cooking class last Dec in Ponca. I am not a competition cook but learned a lot Well worth going Missed Enriques! Another excuse to go back!
Enriques has been an attraction for a long time.  Flyers from Tulsa often fly in, have lunch and fly out.  Also, car clubs have driven from various cities to do the same (which I did back in the 90's). 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »

Do you know if they serve a type of Mexican food?  Is Enrique still chef?  Curious where he is from and if his dishes reflect the State he is from...maybe Jalisco, Sonora, Mexico, Oaxaca...We have learned here in Mayberry, most of the Mexican restaurants lean to the Mexico State variety, as it seems as most of the owners are from that State and around Mexico City !  We lean more towards a Hybrid Southern California/Baja/Sonoran dishes and cant find them!

My daughter would fly me there for lunch at Enrique's (locally famous Mexican Restaurant which is right on the landing strip) and we could walk over to the factory which is a couple of blocks.

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »

Do you know if they serve a type of Mexican food?  Is Enrique still chef?  Curious where he is from and if his dishes reflect the State he is from...maybe Jalisco, Sonora, Mexico, Oaxaca...We have learned here in Mayberry, most of the Mexican restaurants lean to the Mexico State variety, as it seems as most of the owners are from that State and around Mexico City !  We lean more towards a Hybrid Southern California/Baja/Sonoran dishes and cant find them!

My daughter would fly me there for lunch at Enrique's (locally famous Mexican Restaurant which is right on the landing strip) and we could walk over to the factory which is a couple of blocks.
Same family since 1987?.  Food is mainly Tex Mex and some Cuban (go figure).  Not the best we have eaten but good.  They have a web page with more info and menu.  Go to: 

enriquesmexicanrestaurant.com 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:52:44 PM by okie smokie »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:20:59 PM »

I would lean more towards Tex-Mex then any other type Mexican style!  They serve rice and beans with their combo's, that is a good sign, they don't do that here around Mayberry!

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 07:31:11 PM »

We decided to drive to Ponca City today. (98* temp with heat index of 107*).  Left Tulsa at 9:30 AM and arrived at Cookshack at about 11:20AM.  They have a gigantic production facility and warehouse about a block from the airport.  We met with Karen Hoogendoorn who is in charge with domestic sales.  They were busy, and the only PG500's were in production inside the plant, the demand being high.  Someone had purchased the demo and it was gone.  Also the PG1000's were either packaged for shipping or under construction.  Soooo-- we took a short tour of the plant  construction and shipping area.  There were many packaged, electric smokers, pellet grills, and commercial grills of all sizes in this area.  They have a very large commercial business and ship internationally.  The commercial grills were very impressive.  Rotisserie types wood pellet fed, and both stationary and even towable for catering or large outdoor events. Since Karen is in charge of equipment for home sales, we went thru that area of the plant and saw the assembly line for the PG500, and PG1000.  Below is a pic of the pg500 that was being completed.  Parts are precut on site, and fabricated, welded by hand where nec. and then the rest are hand riveted, hand wired and completed on site.  In other words, these are really hand made units, except for the electronics.

Some tech talk:  The PG500 is all 430 stainless, and not insulated.  The control is not PID but apparently very accurate in maintaining temps.
The PG1000 Karen says is made of 200 series SS?  I think I would double check on that.
They also make 4 box like electric smokers for the back yard, that use chunk wood and produce very smoke flavored meat because of the slow smolder of the wood at lower temps.  They range from $699 to $1899 and produce temps of 140* to 300*.  These are descendent of their first products produced by founder, Gene Ellis and wife Judy in the back yard. About 50 years ago.  Family descendants still own and run the company. 
We enjoyed the visit but the heat limited my desire to take lots of pics. But below are a few. Lunch at Enriques Mexican was wonderful, it is at the airport a block away.  Good food. Then a nice trip home.

PG500 under construction

PG500 ready for shipment (comes already put together, wheels and all)

PG500's ordered

Orders for commercial sized products.
COOKSHACK IS DOING VERY WELL!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up