Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GatorDave on 21 Jun 2018
  •      It seemed to go by in a blink of an eye, but looking back, it has been a long strange trip.  I discovered pellet grills and the other site about 6 years ago when I began the search for my pit.  Every time I thought I had my pit picked out, some other shiny thing would distract me, and I could never make up my mind.  Every pit had something I wanted, but no pit seemed to have it all.  I went from the rec tec, to MAK, to Cookshack, to Yoder, to Memphis, and many others.  After all of this, I think I found the pit that has enough of what I want that I'm going to pull the trigger.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase the original Grilla Grill.  That is if I can talk myself out of my newest discovery, Ole Hickory Pits.  Of course they start at $4000, so I'm not sure I can justify it, even as awesome as they are.  What I like about the Grilla is the size of the footprint.  It will take up very little room in my garage.  It has one of my musts, which is a pellet drop into the firepit from above, rather than through the firepit.  I like the very even temperatures that the round shape will give it.  The cost is nice as well, although I wouldn't mine shelling out more for it to be American made.

I'm a little worried about the size, but I figured for the price I was willing to pay for some other pits, I could buy a second one, and still be ahead of the game.  Another negative is no ceramic igniter.  It's also really kind of ugly.  It reminds me of a robot on an old Star Trek episode...lol.  I'm a function over form guy though, so that isn't really too much of an issue.

I decided now is the time, because all online purchases are about to get more expensive due to the supreme court changing the rules so states can collect sales tax from these internet companies.  I'll be saving at least $50 by purchasing sooner rather than later.  Now I just have to talk myself out of spending $4000 on one of those Ole Hickory units.

• #2 by jdmessner on 22 Jun 2018
  • If you get the Grilla, please post what you think of it. I stopped in their showroom a month or so ago and enjoyed talking with the people there. I was impressed with their operation and the way they have designed their grills. If I ever find myself in the market for a new grill, I would look long and hard at Grilla.
  • #3 by GatorDave on 22 Jun 2018
  •      My journey got interrupted by something shiny once again.  The Smoke-N-Grill Cooking Center.  This is the exact pit I have been looking for all of these years.  Unfortunately I'm not 100% sold on the company yet.  This means that my pellet purchase is put on hold one more time.  Grrrr.  The deep digging begins.  Research, research, research.
  • #4 by acguy on 22 Jun 2018
  • Six year journey? All I can think of is all the great meals you have missed trying to decide what to buy.  :'(
  • #5 by GatorDave on 22 Jun 2018
  • Six year journey? All I can think of is all the great meals you have missed trying to decide what to buy.  :'(

Tell me about it.  I did have a gasser and my trusty Weber Kettle, so all was not lost.  I'm kind of anal meticulous when it comes to big purchases.  My wife wanted to kill me when we were house shopping...lol.
  • #6 by Ralphie on 22 Jun 2018
  • If I were you I would consider buying a GMG Davy Crockett right now.  They are reliable, efficient, well built and you can probably find one for about $300.  Cook on this to taste the flavor and feed the jones while you shop for the big pit.  I figure $300 wouldn't be a big deal if you are able to consider $4K.  And who knows, you may develop preferences based on experience that you can consider when choosing the big pit.
    Most importantly, you will be eating pellet food. 
  • #7 by GatorDave on 22 Jun 2018
  • If I were you I would consider buying a GMG Davy Crockett right now.  They are reliable, efficient, well built and you can probably find one for about $300.  Cook on this to taste the flavor and feed the jones while you shop for the big pit.  I figure $300 wouldn't be a big deal if you are able to consider $4K.  And who knows, you may develop preferences based on experience that you can consider when choosing the big pit.
    Most importantly, you will be eating pellet food.

I actually have a Bullseye to replace my gasser, which does an ok job on low and slow.  Not great, but it will tide me over.
  • #8 by GatorDave on 23 Jun 2018
  • I'm 99% sure I'm going to gamble on the Smoke-N-Hot unit.  I just like it that much.  It could be a $2000 mistake, but we shall see.  I'm just waiting until Tuesday to see if I win a Silverbac in a drawing I signed up for.  The drawing is on Monday.
  • #9 by Ralphie on 26 Jun 2018
  • That Smokin Hot Cooking Center looks pretty awesome.  If you get it I hope you share your experiences.  I'll be watching with great interest.  This is the type of cooker that would be on my short short list if (when?) I migrate to the higher end units. 
  • #10 by GatorDave on 26 Jun 2018
  • Well I am going to pull the trigger on it. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. I think the unit itself will be awesome. Hopefully I won’t need the customer service, which is what makes me nervous. I’m going into this assuming I’m on my own. I’m going to order a set pf replacement parts so if I have to try their warranty I won’t be down while shipping the broken parts.
  • #11 by RWhyman on 26 Jun 2018

My exact thought...
  • #12 by LowSlowJoe on 29 Jun 2018
  • That's a interesting looking pellet grill...   Hopper looks a bit small, but from what I can tell they say it holds 23 pounds, which should be fine.

I'd definitely be interested to hear thoughts on it after you get it.
Pages:
Actions