Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time doing this. (Ballotine) SP?  (Read 1690 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
First time doing this. (Ballotine) SP?
« on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »

Found a whole fryer in the freezer when I defrosted/cleaned it over the weekend. Was not sure how I wanted to make it. I remembered seeing a video of Jacques Pépin deboning a chicken. Amazing the way he did  it and quickly. I did not do it quickly. I also saw some other people on Youtube doing it a little differently. I took all the info and like Frank, I did it my way.

When I had it done I hit with our BBQ seasoning, decided easiest stuffing was going to be stove top. I made it and cooled it in the fridge before cutting chicken. I had 2 little pieces of butter left so I laid those on the breast before adding the cold stuffing, also stuffed some down in the leg/thigh pockets. Folded over and tied up best I could. I really need to work on my knot and meat tying skills. Seasoned the under side and put on the rack on the sheet pan dried the top and put in the fridge for about an hour until I was ready to cook it.

Took it out and sprayed the outside with some olive oil and more seasoning. Had the Breville smart oven fired up to 400 put it in for an hour, rotated 180 at 30 minutes. Checked temps they were already over 160 but skin was not really crisping up yet. Lowered temp to 385 to finish.

Took out and rested a few minutes, cut strings off and sliced off a piece of the breast end. The GF was skeptical when she saw it, but was really excited when she saw stuffing and she tried it. Made a pack of Vigo Yellow Rice in the 3qt IP to go with it. She gave it very good reviews but thought it looked like a lot of work. I tried the leg end. It was better to me the the breast end, even though i was over cooked the breast meat was not cardboard but was not far from it to me.

I will be trying this in the pellet cooker when the weather is back to pellet cooker weather for me. Not sure how I would cook it though. I know if I do it again in the Breville I will do at 450 trying to get the skin done faster in hopes of not over shooting meat temps as much. Also will be thinking of different things to stuff with. Limited on that as the GF is picky but will figure something out. Had thought about Cordon Bleu type of filling. May need to find another seasoning with out sugar in it for the outside for the 450 temp cook.

The fourth pic is the breast end the fifth is the leg end. Not that you couldn't figure that out.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: First time doing this. (Ballotine) SP?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

Fantastic looking. Anything with stuffing is good for me. May have to copy that one.  Hard to beat the spatched bird I did today, but worth the try.
Who said it wasn't fun having to stay home?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »

Looks terrific Dave!!!  :clap:
Although, I wouldn't want to be the dish washer.   ;D
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »

Looks terrific Dave!!!  :clap:
Although, I wouldn't want to be the dish washer.   ;D

I made sure I sprayed the rack and the pan well. it cleaned up rather easily, far better than I thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up