Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 24 Jun 2018
  • I'm still running into iPhone upload limits on pictures, so we'll just do the before and after.

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • dk117
  • #2 by dk117 on 24 Jun 2018
  • I've been looking for dino ribs in my area since a trip to Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum Dallas Texas 4 years ago.  It was the best bite of BBQ I've ever had.   In honor of my new pit I went down to my butcher willing to pay any price for custom cut ribs.  To my surprise I found that my butcher recently started carrying them on weekends.  No talk of plate ribs or beef ribs, these were labeled DINO RIBS.   $5.98 a lb, I got the thickest two racks.  4 bone each.   These are going to go into my regular rotation! 

This was my first attempt at dino ribs.   Molasses glue, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup coarse ground pepper, tablespoon smoked paprika and onion powder, dash of cumin.  Probably classified as a dirty dalmatian. 

I started out a little low and I ended up having to rush.   I checked the interwebs and PH and it seems consensus is closer to 275 for 7 or more hours.   Over 200 degrees for probe tender. 

These were a very solid B+.   I cannot wait to try again without rushing to serve for dinner.

DK
    • dk117
  • #3 by yorkdude on 24 Jun 2018
  • Those look excellent, that is one cut I always look for and virtually never have any luck finding.
    I would have jumped all over those.
  • #4 by GREG-B on 24 Jun 2018
  • Ok DK, where did you find them?  Been looking for them myself.
  • #5 by dk117 on 24 Jun 2018
    PM sent!
    • dk117
  • #6 by reubenray on 24 Jun 2018
  • I may have to get me some.  There is a new meat market in my area called Whiskey Ridge Cattle Company.  They specialize in grass and grain fed plus Wagyu.  There prices are higher, but this may be my only way to Dino ribs.
  • #7 by triplebq on 24 Jun 2018
  • #8 by TLK on 25 Jun 2018
    PM sent!

Why PM??  Let everyone know!  They look great!
  • #9 by dk117 on 25 Jun 2018
    PM sent!

Why PM??  Let everyone know!  They look great!
    Butcher Boys Vancouver Washington.  Didn't want to come off as promoting a specific outlet.    And I'm a little tentative on all the other Pelletheads in the area using my "source"   :P

triplebq has the better suggestion of Sams (which we don't have here).

2,453 miles from Westerville to Vancouver.   Frankly it's probably worth the trip, but I'm sure you'll find a solution closer.

DK

• dk117
  • #10 by Ross77 on 25 Jun 2018
  • Costco also has them. I smoked for 8 hours at 225. Then one hour at 275.  No wrap. I only sprayed with Apple juice to kept the surface moist.

• #11 by okie smokie on 25 Jun 2018
  • I'm still running into iPhone upload limits on pictures, so we'll just do the before and after.

"Dino Ribs" ?  please explain.
  • #12 by mowin on 25 Jun 2018
  • Gosh those look great.  The only ones I can find are anemic at best..  last week I stumbled upon a butcher that sells meats from his own farm.. I ordered some beef ribs for the weekend after the 4th. I hope mine turn out as good as yours.
  • #13 by TechMOGogy on 26 Jun 2018
  • Look great and now I am hungry :)
  • #14 by bregent on 26 Jun 2018

"Dino Ribs" ?  please explain.

They're talking about beef plate ribs which have a lot of meat on them, as compared to back ribs, or finger ribs, which are also tasty but have very little meat on them.
  • #15 by DMAXNAZ on 26 Jun 2018
  • I have to find some now. They look so good!
Pages:
Actions