Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ralphie on 25 Jun 2018
  • My first crack at spatchcock chicken.

Bird #1 (darker bird)
    - Meatchurch “The Gospel” bbq rub under skin and on skin.

Bird #2
    - A combo of Lawry’s Garlic Salt with parsley and Cavendar’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning under skin and on skin. .

B&B brand “ Championship Blend” pellets: pecan, cherry, oak blend.

- spatchcock cut the chicken just like any instructional video will show you
    - a smoky 225 degrees for 1 hour
    - raised to 375 degrees until the thickest breast was approx 163 degrees (just over an hour)

Results/ Thoughts:
    - another pellet cook, another revelation. Do you ever finally get around to trying a recipe that ends up being so good that you are actually PO’d that you didn’t try it sooner?  That’s spatchcock chicken for me. Three bites in and my wife and I agreed that we just discovered our new Sunday family meal.
    - despite not having time to brine, the meat was outrageously juicy.
    - the skin was truly crunchy...another revelation. So good.
    The “bbq” bird was/is dinner last night and tonight. The “Greek” bird is chicken salad for lunches.
    - although my chicken salad success stories are near nonexistent, this one rocks! (Just added mayo, diced celery, smoked kosher salt, and pan juices.
    - the darker bird has a rub with a fair amount of sugar so it blackened a bit.  The other bird had no sugar involved. However, the internal temps on both birds were nearly identical.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jun 2018
  • Look great.  Nice to see and hear another success story.
  • #3 by cookingjnj on 28 Jun 2018
  • Looks yummy Ralphie.
  • #4 by grilltreats on 28 Jun 2018
  • Good looking Birds!
  • #5 by yorkdude on 28 Jun 2018
  • Looking really good, that's our go to way to do whole birds and always try to make extra for the chicken salad. Nice job.
  • #6 by BC Buck on 28 Jun 2018
  • What type wood did you use?
  • #7 by EC on 28 Jun 2018
  • I have yet to try this way to do chicken.  Just showed the wife we are doing it tonight!
  • #8 by GatorDave on 28 Jun 2018
  • Has anyone ever tried to have the butcher take out the spine?  I'm going to ask mine this weekend.  Chicken is in my future.
  • #9 by bregent on 28 Jun 2018
  • Has anyone ever tried to have the butcher take out the spine?  I'm going to ask mine this weekend.  Chicken is in my future.

I'm sure they would, but it only takes a few seconds with a good pair of poultry shears. I've had a pair for years, but recently got these to make it easier to do turkeys:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQ9723K
  • #10 by Ralphie on 28 Jun 2018
  • What type wood did you use?

B&B brand “ Championship Blend” pellets: pecan, cherry, oak blend.
  • #11 by Ralphie on 28 Jun 2018

My buddy said his butcher does it free of charge.  His butcher is just the standard meat counter guy at Harris Teeter which is our regular regional super market.  Similar to a Publix.
  • #12 by GatorDave on 28 Jun 2018

My buddy said his butcher does it free of charge.  His butcher is just the standard meat counter guy at Harris Teeter which is our regular regional super market.  Similar to a Publix.

Sweet.  That makes life easier, and the chicken cheaper, as I won't be paying for the weight of the spine.
  • #13 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Jun 2018

Sweet.  That makes life easier, and the chicken cheaper, as I won't be paying for the weight of the spine.

I would bet they make you pay the full weight before they spatchcock
  • #14 by bregent on 28 Jun 2018
  • I keep the spines, wing tip and other trimmings and freeze to make stock.
Pages:
Actions