Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 26 Jun 2018
  • I know folks who like it on scrambled eggs.  That kind of makes me shudder, but I am sure there are things I like which make others shudder.
  • #17 by Ralphie on 26 Jun 2018
  • Ha. I eat it on scrambled eggs. As for my 6 year old daughter, it would be easier to list the foods she doesn’t eat it on.
  • #18 by texasbrew on 28 Jun 2018
  • Does Cholula count as ketchup?  :)
  • #19 by Fire708 on 29 Jun 2018
  • Heinz guy here, but I need to mention PORTLAND ORGANIC KETCHUP.   Either they do a really good job marketing me into believing it, or it really does taste fresher, somehow a tad lighter.  Many local restaurants carry it. 

DK

This stuff is amazing,
    We had it at a local restaurant in a little side cup. Waitress was cool enough to bring out a bottle for us. Just wish it wasn’t so spendy.
    Other than that they all are so close I just buy whatever.
  • #20 by LowSlowJoe on 29 Jun 2018
  • The best katsup I've had is stuff I made myself... all others taste pretty similar to me.  Homemade stuff I can make it taste anyway I want.
  • #21 by Ralphie on 30 Jun 2018
  • The best katsup I've had is stuff I made myself... all others taste pretty similar to me.  Homemade stuff I can make it taste anyway I want.

Do you have a ketchup recipe you can share?  I think I remember you posting a picture of steak, homemade fries, and homemade ketchup. Looked so good.
  • #22 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Jun 2018

Do you have a ketchup recipe you can share?  I think I remember you posting a picture of steak, homemade fries, and homemade ketchup. Looked so good.

Serious Eats has a good basic recipe for Catsup...  I'll try to post something to the recipe section soon, but I just  make minor tweaks to what serious eats lists and I rarely measure stuff out exactly.   Start small, tomato sauce is cheap,  try  your own tweaking,  keep at least mental notes on what flavors you like more than others.  It's kinda amazing how much difference there can be with small amounts of changes to some of the spices like cloves, allspice,  cinnamon,  etc...

Additional garlic, pepper,  or hot peppers can also make stuff get real interesting... kids might not like it, but I don't make mine for kids. :)

I don't typically use a blender,  mine is left with chunks of stuff... if you blend it, it can really change the flavor a lot, so be careful about that
  • #23 by SmokinHandyman on 30 Jun 2018
  • I have liked Brooks Rich and Tangy Ketchup since I was a little kid. In was originally made in Collinsville, Il.
    The plant had a ketchup bottle as its water tower.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Catsup_Bottle_Water_Tower
  • #24 by Ralphie on 30 Jun 2018
  • Low,
    That sounds like something I would like.  I’m curious though. Whether due to certain ingredients or cooking methods, where is the line drawn between homemade catsup and bbq sauce?
  • #25 by grilltreats on 01 Jul 2018
  • Heinz and ice cold for me.  I didn't know there was any others, WOW!
  • #26 by LowSlowJoe on 01 Jul 2018
  • Low,
    That sounds like something I would like.  I’m curious though. Whether due to certain ingredients or cooking methods, where is the line drawn between homemade catsup and bbq sauce?

Well,  that's the beauty of making your own,  you get to decide.

But that's where I started... Bentley and Kristin at one point had BBQ sauce taste testing,  they used a homemade BBQ sauce that was spiced up catsup as a sort of baseline... I noticed people often chose that as being as good or better than many commercial bbq sauces.  I got to thinking,  it'd be interesting to start  frome homemade catsup...

BBQ sauce can be just a few tweaks away from catsup for sure.
Pages:
Actions