Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shop Vac  (Read 985 times)

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Shop Vac
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:53:25 AM »

Well my 25 year old 10 gal shop vac has finally gave it up.
Getting ready to buy another vacuum. My question is, has anyone found a filter that will
trap the pellet ash/dust?

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
Re: Shop Vac
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »

Sure, HEPA filters will.  I just got a inexpensive harbor freight model and don't worry about it.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »

Most shop vacuums have an optional drywall dust filter that will catch ash dust.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »

Just look @ the Shop Vac site...  There 3 filter cartridges; basic, fine dust and ash, and HEPA.. Then there are the bags to be used on their own or with a cartridge...  The filtering system protects the motor as

well as reducing exhaust air particulate.

CaptJerry

• Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »

Thanks folks!
All I had been using is the foam and paper and they do little as far as ash.
Thanks again

TechMOGogy

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »

Most shopvacs you can outfit with the "water" filter - slides over the intake or a bag for dry only.
They bag works perfectly
This is the one I have (the "fine dust filter" they show clogged up after 2-3 uses and was then useless
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-5-gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Pro-Pack-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD4522/100638389
These are the bags
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-High-Efficiency-Dust-Bags-for-3-0-Gal-to-4-5-Gal-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-2-Pack-VF3501/100520395
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »

I have two rather old Shop Vacs and I use a metal Stanley vac to clean out ashes.  But I just became aware of this–

It's a WPPO Ash Vacuum.  The ad I saw was pretty convincing.  It was listed at $120.

No, I'm not associated with this company in any way.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »

Hard to beat this 4? gallon Porter Cable. Stainless steel, with filter bag over the motor and a full sized hepa filter bag. Purchased at Costco for $25. Only complaint is that it does not have a grounded plug and I get a static shock when using it on my grill if my hand (on the plastic suction tube) gets too close to the metal of the pit. Not sure how that charge builds up, or how it flows thru the plastic hose, but it is always a surprise. I guess it is harmless otherwise unless you have a pacemaker? I will inquire with them about that.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »

I get a static shock when using it on my grill if my hand (on the plastic suction tube) gets too close to the metal of the pit. Not sure how that charge builds up, or how it flows thru the plastic hose, but it is always a surprise.

The sawdust-collecting "plumbing" in woodworking shops is susceptible to this kind of static build-up.  It's an explosion risk due to the wood dust.

Static electricity is interesting.  Sailing ships often had balls of static electricity moving along the rope rigging (St. Elmo's fire).  I saw a ball of it zoom down the telegraph wires along a railroad track when I was a kid.

EDIT:  A physicist friend suggested that what I described above is not St. Elmo's fire but what is commonly called ball lightening.  He says that St. Elmo's fire is a blue, plasma-like, glow on the tips of pointed objects, while ball lightening is reported to be spherical and mobile.  He says that St. Elmo's fire has been generated in a laboratory and studied while ball lightening never has been and is not universally believed by scientists.  He advised me to do some research before publishing.  (Kind of a jerk in that regard.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:45:18 AM by pmillen »
Paul

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 07:52:47 PM »

Spoke to Porter Cable service this AM.  Very nice lady was surprised and said she had never heard of this problem with the vacuum. She was unable to explain it, but insisted that I not use the vac again, as she is sending me a new vac to replace it.  The more I thought about it, I concluded that neither the 590 (unplugged at the time) nor the vacuum is grounded, the Porter Cable has a two prong plug.while I am grounded (on my back porch slab).  Probably could be resolved if the vacuum had a grounded (three prong) plug which it does not.  Anyhow, I am pleased with the response, however, not sure that it will not happen with the new unit. Will test and report when I get the replacement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up