Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GatorDave on 28 Jun 2018
  • This one is a family favorite, and also a central New York staple.  I was introduced to it in college in Syracuse.  It is super simple, but really really good.

1 bag or more new potatoes. (those little small potatoes)
    1 26 oz container of salt (or more depending on the amount of potatoes.)
    1 stick of melted butter (or more depending on the amount of potatoes.)

Bring a pot of water (enough to cover the amount of potatoes you are going to cook) to a boil.  Add as much salt as the water will dissolve.  Keep mixing it in until it won't dissolve any more.  Once the water is boiling with the salt, add the potatoes.  Cook until tender then drain.  They should have a white coating on the outside.  Serve them with a side of melted to butter to dip them in.  So good.
  • #2 by hughver on 28 Jun 2018
  • Sounds different but surly begs the question, how salty are they  ???
  • #3 by pz on 28 Jun 2018
  • I've heard of these but have not tried them to date. They sound good. I like to generously sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt using oil as a glue, then roast them in an SRG. They are not too salty.
  • #4 by GatorDave on 28 Jun 2018
  • Sounds different but surly begs the question, how salty are they  ???

They sound super salty, but they don't taste that way.  This is coming from someone who doesn't use salt when cooking.  This is one of two things I add salt to, corn on the cob being the other.
  • #5 by KeithG on 28 Jun 2018
  • One of my favorites!
  • #6 by hughver on 29 Jun 2018
  • Being from Louisiana, I'm not much of a potato guy but my NW better half would eat them three times a day. I'll give these a try. I'm not familiar with the term "new potatoes", are you referring to the small red skinned variety?
  • #7 by GatorDave on 29 Jun 2018
  • Being from Louisiana, I'm not much of a potato guy but my NW better half would eat them three times a day. I'll give these a try. I'm not familiar with the term "new potatoes", are you referring to the small red skinned variety?

They are just the really small potatoes.  Usually about 1" to 1-1/2" in diameter.  They typically come in a small bag in the produce department.

• #8 by bregent on 29 Jun 2018

My understanding is that new potatoes can be of any variety, but they are young and not cured. Curing thickens the skin and helps potatoes last longer in storage. 
Pages:
Actions