Recipe Section > Sides

Salt Potatoes

(1/2) > >>

GatorDave:
This one is a family favorite, and also a central New York staple.  I was introduced to it in college in Syracuse.  It is super simple, but really really good.

1 bag or more new potatoes. (those little small potatoes)
1 26 oz container of salt (or more depending on the amount of potatoes.)
1 stick of melted butter (or more depending on the amount of potatoes.)

Bring a pot of water (enough to cover the amount of potatoes you are going to cook) to a boil.  Add as much salt as the water will dissolve.  Keep mixing it in until it won't dissolve any more.  Once the water is boiling with the salt, add the potatoes.  Cook until tender then drain.  They should have a white coating on the outside.  Serve them with a side of melted to butter to dip them in.  So good.

hughver:
Sounds different but surly begs the question, how salty are they  ???

pz:
I've heard of these but have not tried them to date. They sound good. I like to generously sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt using oil as a glue, then roast them in an SRG. They are not too salty.

GatorDave:

--- Quote from: hughver on June 28, 2018, 11:56:12 AM ---Sounds different but surly begs the question, how salty are they  ???

--- End quote ---

They sound super salty, but they don't taste that way.  This is coming from someone who doesn't use salt when cooking.  This is one of two things I add salt to, corn on the cob being the other.

KeithG:
One of my favorites!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View