Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke tube needed at 250?  (Read 2302 times)

Editit

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Smoke tube needed at 250?
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:45:25 PM »

Being both new to rec tech AND pellet smokers.... I have to ask.  I am going to cook a brisket tomorrow.  Should I use my smoke tube in there till the stall?  Or will the Bull produce enough smoke on its own?

Thank you!

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Smoke tube needed at 250?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »

For starters that's a relative question regarding "enough smoke"  I would say yes you would want to add the smoke tube even at 225.  The pellet grills produce a cleaner smoke than a stick or charcoal grill does so the smoke is not as strong or as bitter tasting if that's what you are use to.

For briskets I add Mesquite wood chips mixed with Mesquite pellets to fill in between the wood chips in my smoke tube for more smoke flavor.  My RT makes clouds of smoke at 225 but the smoke flavor is still mild for what I am use to on my charcoal grill and is why I add the smoke tube.  I am even contemplating adding a Smoke Daddy, but am waiting to try some Lumberjack pellets first which are supposed give more flavor.  I am currently using RT Ultimate blend pellets.  I do notice the next day that there is more smoke flavor on the meat and I assume it is because I am not out in the smoke then and can smell the smoke flavor better.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:29:15 AM »

I agree with grilltreats , the decision to add a smoke tube, or any other additional smoke device is a personal choice and personal preference on how much smoke flavor is on the meat.  I myself would first try a cook without the added devices to see what the flavor profile is to my taste.  I do not have the Bull, I have the 680, and I have never had a lack of adequate smoke profile on anything I have done low and slow so far.  Efficient burn has still produced everything I was looking for. Just need to experience for yourself. That is all part of the fun.

Editit

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »

Thanks guys.
I will go without the tube and see how it turns out. 
Just hit the stall, and wrapped it. OMG it looks fantastic!

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

I've owned pellet grills for 6 years or more, never felt a need for a smoke tube. In all honestly, if I couldn't get decent smoke out of a pellet grill at 225F, I'd probably not own it, or would be looking for one that did do better at that aspect.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Ralphie

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »

I've owned pellet grills for 6 years or more, never felt a need for a smoke tube. In all honestly, if I couldn't get decent smoke out of a pellet grill at 225F, I'd probably not own it, or would be looking for one that did do better at that aspect.

Agree. Pellet smokers provide plenty of smoke. But I think there is a misconception about this. The comparisons between pellet smokers and stick burners are always about smoke output. Many often say the pellet smokers don’t produce as much smoke. From experience, I would say that is false. It’s not more or less. It’s just different. Different color, aroma, and flavor.
The key is learning your rig and how much smoke output you can generate at different temperatures and then adjust your recipes accordingly.

To answer your question, I got a Blaz’n Grills Smoker Pro box for the same reason. Wasn’t sure if I needed more smoke output. Now i use it exclusively in my Webber gasser as an accessory.

I let a brisket roll on my Rec tec Stampede at 225 degrees for this one.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

bregent

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

Being both new to rec tech AND pellet smokers.... I have to ask.  I am going to cook a brisket tomorrow.  Should I use my smoke tube in there till the stall?  Or will the Bull produce enough smoke on its own?

Thank you!

What type/brand of pellets are you using?

41magsnub

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »

I have a smoke tube, only time I have ever used it was using the 680 as a cold smoker with the tube as the only smoke source.

Ross77

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »

This question comes up quite often.  Taste is very subjective.  Try without the tube using different pellets a few times.  100% hickory and mesquite will give you the most flavor.  But I don't like mesquite so I don't use it.  Most pellet blends don't do much for me with the exception of Lumberjack Pecan blend with brisket.

Spray the surface of your meat occasionally as a moist surface attracts more smoke. 
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Kelvininin

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »

I have the old school first gen 680.  I have experimented with a smoke tube.  Its entirely unneeded.  I have easily over smoked meats without it. 

Anymore I usually only smoke whatever I am cooking for a few hours at 180, then souse vide, then reverse sear.   

I do london broils this way, they always come out amazing. 

bregent

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »

I have the old school first gen 680.  I have experimented with a smoke tube.  Its entirely unneeded.  I have easily over smoked meats without it. 

Anymore I usually only smoke whatever I am cooking for a few hours at 180, then souse vide, then reverse sear.   

I do london broils this way, they always come out amazing.

Not sure you can call that a "London Broil", but I get what you're saying.

Kelvininin

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

Not sure you can call that a "London Broil", but I get what you're saying.

I realize a London Broil is more of a preparation method than a cut of meat, but that's how all the places around me label it so I am rolling with it.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up