Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on vertical pellet smokers??  (Read 1109 times)

Jnex

• Lurker
Thoughts on vertical pellet smokers??
« on: July 01, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »

I’ve been curious since they came out but know no-one that owns one.  Masterbuilt and PitBoss both make them.

I’m actually considering the Pitboss 5 series.

I already have a GMG DB. And like it but it’s a 2010 so it’s pretty old.   I was thinking of keeping it but adding one of these vertical ones as well.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on them?

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Thoughts on vertical pellet smokers??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
Check out this thread on the Pit Boss. Very interesting looking unit. If I didn't have my PG500 (and my wife) I would have one of these.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2320.0

Good luck with your research.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »

I have the Copperhead 7, have cooked on it half a dozen times so far and I like it, I also have a Davey Crockett and a Rec Tec 680, the Rec Tec will be getting cleaned up and put up for sale I believe. No need for it anymore.

I have found I like chicken cooked at 350 in the vertical, it has done a nice job at 150 on jerky, I have not had a chance to make Sausage or Kielbasi yet, but am planning on it. 

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »

I’ve been curious since they came out but know no-one that owns one.  Masterbuilt and PitBoss both make them.

I’m actually considering the Pitboss 5 series.

I already have a GMG DB. And like it but it’s a 2010 so it’s pretty old.   I was thinking of keeping it but adding one of these vertical ones as well.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on them?

I own a Cookshack FEC-120 and love it. I mainly use it for large cooks.

The Pitboss seems like a nice unit.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »

If you are looking at a Pitboss make sure you never get caught in a rain or it is under a cover where blowing rain can not get to it.    The rainwater on the top flows directly into the pellet hopper and then your fun will start.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »

I have the Pitboss Copperhead 5 and like it, a lot. It did a great job cooking some jerky and actually can operate much lower than I expected, even on a 100 degree day. I smoked a small portion of brisket too and was quite happy with both cooks. I am pretty confident I can cook bacon as long as I keep the bacon over the rectangle where the water actually is in the pan so all of the drippings fall right into the water. I am scared if I go closer to the edge, drippings might hit the bottom and create a grease fire. As long as I keep water in the water pan, like the manual states, I do not have any temperature spikes. I am not a fan of the pellet dump at all. I don't change out pellets from cook to cook so I do not need one. The pellet dump design has the potential for water to get in if left out in the rain. After a bit of thought, I am going to just silicone it shut and pretend it never existed. Mine stays under an overhang on the back patio and never gets rained on but if I ever get a really bad "sideways rain" type storm, I'll be glad I closed it off. Otherwise my initial feelings are I think I am happiest with this one than the other 2 I have owned, a Traeger Lil Tex and a Yoder YS640. I still have the Yoder but sold the Traeger to get the Copperhead 5. My favorite to cook is jerky and boston butts, and the Copperhead has as much capacity for either as I will ever need. Overall I am a fan.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2517.0
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Jnex

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:58:01 PM »

Bigdave83. I will gladly take a donation of the rectec if you feel so inclined  :D

I am very much considering the copperhead 5. I usually roll my DB in and out of the garage and only use it during good weather so am not worried about the rain.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »

Just when I thought my 'desire' for a Pit Boss 5.5 vertical had subsided...  I found where I could get one for $290...     

I need another pellet smoker like a hole in the head, but I am  a sucker for a good deal, and I really think these would make fantastic jerky making machines....  not to mention bacon.

Anyone want to try and talk me out of , or into buying one for that price?
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »

LSJ,

Is that an in-store price somewhere, or an on-line price?

If on-line, would you mind sharing the link?

Thanks,
Ed

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

It's a guy on facebook, he says he's a 'reseller'  , I don't think he would do anything but local purchases.  He does say he's got a few...  so either he's really legit in some way, or a few fell off a truck near him, not sure which.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »

Just keep the pellet dump door out of the rain...other than that it is great for jerky
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »

I rotated my jerky 180 degrees and dropped it 1 shelf on my Copperhead 5 every 60 - 90 minutes and every piece cooked the same. I was really pleased how even the entire batch cooked. It was way better than the results I got on my Traeger Lil Tex.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 01:52:39 PM »

It is great at a low temp cooking machine.  Probably the lowest temp I have seen in any grill.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Jnex

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »

xxxx if I found one for $290 I’d already have one lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up