Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Remove Auger in Copperhead 5?  (Read 3464 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
How to Remove Auger in Copperhead 5?
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »

I planned for the worst, but it was not good enough wnen I got hit by a storm that dumped over 2" of rain where most of it was blowing sideways.  I had to bring in my five pork butts to finish in the oven after the GFI tripped.  I was under a cabana, but it was blown over.  When I got to working on it it would not show any power on the control board.  Yes the GFI is back working.

I then started to empty out the pellets where I could turn the smoker on it's side.  It was solid sawdust.  After hours of removing all of the pellets I got to working on the control board. The fuse was still good, but it was wet in there.  I then started working on getting to the auger.  I cannot figure out how to get to it besides right at each end.  All I have left is about 7+" that I can't get to.  I found a set screw, but it just spins.  I have it all apart with the 90+ degree sun shining on it hopefully it will dry it some where I can vacuum it out.  Also is there any way to manually spin the auger.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: How to Remove Auger in Copperhead 5?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

LMK what you end up figuring out.  I have yet to take mine apart to get the pellets out of the auger tube from a month ago.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »

I would think just try to grab the end and turn it the opposite direction, maybe shoot some water in there to try to resoften the hardened pellets.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »

I did get the wet pellets out of the auger. 

Well my idea to let the hot sun work on the control board and the pellets was changed when storms came in again.  After disconnecting the ground wire and the thermostat sensor wire I brought every thing into my shop.  After picking out as much as a could with an ice pick and vacuuming I was able to get a small pair of vice grips on the auger shaft.  The auger motor will need the two brackets removed.  The auger finally screwed out enough where I could put pair of needle nose pliers on the set screw nut.  I then used a tox screwdriver to remove it.  This removed the motor from the auger.  The auger then screwed out completely.  I then used a long screwdriver to scrape the wet pellets out where I could vacuum them up.

After I put the auger and auger motor back together I briefly plugged it in to see if the control board would lite up.  It did briefly with an error code.  This was most likely the thermostat wiring not plugged up.  I will work on putting it all back together tomorrow being it is still storming.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »

It's Alive!!!!    It's Alive!!!!!

After finally getting a chance to put everything back together I had my fingers crossed that everything would.  I followed the Copperhead manual instruction as if it had never been started.  Everything worked the way it was supposed to work.  Being I have read where other owners have had concerns about the heat deflector not keeping the control board from getting too hot I added some foil backed tape to the deflector.

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »

It's Alive!!!!    It's Alive!!!!!

After finally getting a chance to put everything back together I had my fingers crossed that everything would.  I followed the Copperhead manual instruction as if it had never been started.  Everything worked the way it was supposed to work.  Being I have read where other owners have had concerns about the heat deflector not keeping the control board from getting too hot I added some foil backed tape to the deflector.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »

Great to hear.  I hope I have similar success when I take mine apart.  I will following your directions as best I can.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »

When I put mine back together I had the main box laying on the door hinge side on a patio storage container.  This was a lot easier than when I took everything apart sitting or laying on the ground.  Of course you will need to take the door off first.  Being I had to check my fuse also I removed the control board.  You may want to do also where you can take everything into a shop or garage to work on a work bench.  Once you remove all of the screws that attaches everything to the main box you will need to disconnect the ground wire and the thermostat wire.  Everything can then be taken inside to work on.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:48 PM »

I sent an email to Danson and then sent me 25 step instructions on how to get the auger out and then follow the steps in reverse to reassemble.  I will probably give it a try in the Spring.  I really could use the capacity to make jerky.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

If anyone needs the instructions, send me a PM and I will send them to you.  They are quite detailed with pics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up