Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stampede  (Read 1104 times)

southern_leo

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Stampede
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »

Who has it and what's your experience so far? I was leaning toward CC but also contemplated a few other brands. Everyone who has a rec tec seems to have high praises. The PID controller is what really attracts me, but I've also been eyeing Pellet Pro from smoke daddy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Re: Stampede
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »

I don't have a Stampede but I do own a CC DLX and a Rec Tec Mini (RT 300) so I can comment on the controller.  The Rec Tec has much smaller temp swings than the CC.  I like the amount of stainless steel in a Rec Tec.  The Stampede is WIFI capable which is attractive to some.  What I don't know is if the Stampede has the sear capability you're looking for with all those Steaks you like to cook. (I read your other post.)   I use my Weber kettle for that.
Thanks for the comments and comparisons. The sear factor is attractive to me with the CC. I have a buddy with a traeger and he cooks a lot of steaks also and he said he would like the sear feature BUT he thinks the steaks are just fine without it too. So now I'm starting to think a grill with good temp control maybe more important.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »

When it comes to temp control, I am not certain the Rec Tec controller is not a bit of smoke and mirror. I used to watch mine and the temp I would set it at whatever it was 200, 225, 250, I would hit the actual button and it was always the same as set temps once it got to temp and settled in. My GMG which I believe is also a PID I can watch it go down a few degrees below set point and then go up a few. So I know that there is something happening in there I can see it happen on the display. I believe the RT folks have their controller some how set up to not change temps unless there is a significant enough change say it goes up or down 15 degrees from set point. I do not know for sure just my thinking from my observations. I see my Pit Boss which is not PID go plus or minus maybe 35 degrees, but it cooks very well for me so far.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »

I don't have a Stampede but I do own a CC DLX and a Rec Tec Mini (RT 300) so I can comment on the controller.  The Rec Tec has much smaller temp swings than the CC.  I like the amount of stainless steel in a Rec Tec.  The Stampede is WIFI capable which is attractive to some.  What I don't know is if the Stampede has the sear capability you're looking for with all those Steaks you like to cook. (I read your other post.)   I use my Weber kettle for that.
Thanks for the comments and comparisons. The sear factor is attractive to me with the CC. I have a buddy with a traeger and he cooks a lot of steaks also and he said he would like the sear feature BUT he thinks the steaks are just fine without it too. So now I'm starting to think a grill with good temp control maybe more important.

With GrillGrates, and the Stampede, you will be able to get great searing on your steaks.  I have the Blaz'n GS with the same type PID control, and with my GrillGrates, it does steaks and burgers just like an open flame.  Have measured GG temps at 560*.  The Stainless body, grates, and firebox are a real plus IMO.  Much better sear than with my old Traeger where I was lucky to get temps up to 400. 

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »

When it comes to temp control, I am not certain the Rec Tec controller is not a bit of smoke and mirror. I used to watch mine and the temp I would set it at whatever it was 200, 225, 250, I would hit the actual button and it was always the same as set temps once it got to temp and settled in. My GMG which I believe is also a PID I can watch it go down a few degrees below set point and then go up a few. So I know that there is something happening in there I can see it happen on the display. I believe the RT folks have their controller some how set up to not change temps unless there is a significant enough change say it goes up or down 15 degrees from set point. I do not know for sure just my thinking from my observations. I see my Pit Boss which is not PID go plus or minus maybe 35 degrees, but it cooks very well for me so far.

You are correct, once it gets to temp and settles, the temp doesn't vary too much.  I've measured it with an ambient probe.  I don't think there is smoke and mirrors going on.  On a 19 hour brisket cook the temp was rock steady. 
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:49:19 AM »

I'm never fully satisfied...  except maybe for my PG500, but I could find things to nit pick about that too.

Problem with PID and trying to 'grill'...  Leave the lid open long, and the PID thinks the grills getting too cool and starts pouring in more pellets, causing the temperature to go up and up and up...   PID needs the lid close to maintain temperature.   So, grilling on a pellet grill gets tricky, since traditional grilling is with the lid open ( at least that's how I typically do it ). But then, this isn't only limited to PID type of controllers either.

Honestly, I don't know why they call pellet grills pellet grills... but that's another story.  Sort of.   

I do own a Stampede, and it's a fine pellet 'grill' , I even have Grillgrates now.   Yes, you can sort of grill on one, and yes the grill grates help with that... but I generally don't like running a pellet grill with all the heat deflectors and such inside , while trying to grill... The drip tray gets too freaking hot, much of the heat gets trapped bellow the drip tray, this can cause discoloration of stainless steel, or peeling paint/powder coat on grills that aren't stainless.  Yeah... it can work, but IMHO, it's not ideal.

Glad I got a PG500 for when I really want to grill, and fortunately I have a small family , so rarely need to grill more than a few burgers or a couple large seaks.

Things like brats and such,  I've gotten to where I actually prefer these cooked at around 350F, and I can easly do this on any pellet grill, even without grill grates ( actually prefer without ).   

Burgers and steaks...  I'd much prefer something other than a traditional pellet grill.     Maybe a Bullseye, but I've seen somewhat mixed information about how well those work.

In general I do like the Stampede. It's built pretty well, the PID easily controls temperature to within +/-5F ( but then , I don't really feel that's a necessity to cook great food on a pellet grill ).   The metal is sufficiently thick, but not overly so, it feels plenty sturdy.  I like the size more so than a Trailblazer, and for me personally, I don't need a grill the size of the Bull.    Heat distribution is pretty good, there are a couple hotter spots near the very edges, but this is true of virtually all pellet grills.   I love the WiFi... I know some people feel WiFi is a gimmick... but I tell you what, once you've actually used WiFi, you probably won't think of it as a gimmick. Find yourself forced to leave home unexpectedly right after you stuck a big hunk of meat on the grill, and you probably will see the value in being able to monitor and control the grill remotely, like I value it. ( Yeah, i can cook without WiFi, but it sure is a lot easier to do with WiFi ).

Personally I don't get it about seeing the optional gas sear station as an attraction to a pellet grill...  Maybe it's because I personally don't suffer for space around my home, but if I want a gas thing to sear on , I'll buy one, regardless of what choice I make for pellet grill, and feel it's a bit silly to tie the choice of pellet grill to that particular optional feature.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Ralphie

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »

You are correct, once it gets to temp and settles, the temp doesn't vary too much.  I've measured it with an ambient probe.  I don't think there is smoke and mirrors going on.  On a 19 hour brisket cook the temp was rock steady.

Same for me.  My Rec Tec controller is pretty much always within 1 degree of set temp and often right on the number.  I have 2 good oven thermometers in there that verify it every time. 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »

They must buffer the displayed temperature...   Here's one set to 225F, graphs done with Fireboard.  The temperature initially had been up around 400F, this portion of the data is after it was turned down to 225F and left to run another 2 hours.   The display never varied more than a couple degrees.

The probes were placed roughly 5" from the front and back of the grill, and/or 5" from the sides of the grill, the two center ones were center grill area...( still 5 inches from front and 5 inches from back )

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:03:49 PM by LowSlowJoe »

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »

Here's a biscuit test I did. The biscuits are oriented the same (position wise)  in all three of the photos.   

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »

Here's a brisket I cooked...   I was asleep from about 10PM until 5:30AM, so I wasn't out there looking at the display.. but form watching it other times, I could easily imagine the display wasn't moving more than +/-2F while I slept... When I woke up around 5:30, it was well into the stall, so I bumped the temperature up a bit, and i'm sure checked in on it by opening the door a few times... but from about 10:30PM, to 5:30 AM, this was all PID controller.  Typical fluctuations according to my Fireboard are roughly +/- 11F or so when the grill is set to 225F. This was while inside a well ventilated shed, so weather and wind probably wasn't much of a factor. I forget the ambient temperature, but was probably around the mid 60s.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:46:01 PM by LowSlowJoe »

southern_leo

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »

"Personally I don't get it about seeing the optional gas sear station as an attraction to a pellet grill...  Maybe it's because I personally don't suffer for space around my home, but if I want a gas thing to sear on , I'll buy one, regardless of what choice I make for pellet grill, and feel it's a bit silly to tie the choice of pellet grill to that particular optional feature.
[/quote]"

Thanks for your reply. The reason I like the sear station is for a few reasons.

1. I have a small patio and two grills would take up alot of space. (Wife may not be too happy abo it that)

2. I don't have unlimited funds and want to have a good smoker and a good grill. It's hard to have both for under $1,000.00 if you want decent quality that will last more than a couple years.

3. The propane sear station CC makes is also nice because if I'm in a rush and want a quick steak or burger, then I have the propane option ready to roll.

Honestly for someone who likes grilling and smoking I don't understand how a pellet grill with the propane sear station isn't attractive. It just makes sense to me to buy one machine to do it all. My main hesitation on the CC is some people report major temp swings. Id hate to buy a grill for $1,000.00 then need to drop a smoke daddy pid in it. I'm wanting to buy a product I know I'll get years of service out of.

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 03:16:34 PM »

Yeah, well I wouldn't want to buy a grill and have to add a aftermarket controller to it either.  Yet, I also would not let my choice of pellet grill depend on if I could attach a ~$100 gas burner. To me that's about the equivalent to going buying a particular car, because I liked the ability to get a spare tire with it.

southern_leo

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »

Yeah, well I wouldn't want to buy a grill and have to add a aftermarket controller to it either.  Yet, I also would not let my choice of pellet grill depend on if I could attach a ~$100 gas burner. To me that's about the equivalent to going buying a particular car, because I liked the ability to get a spare tire with it.
Well I don't agree with that analogy, nor do the thousands of people who have bought any searing option for their pellet grill, but to each their own. We all have different wants and needs. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it isn't for other people. Don't get on forums acting like it's is stupid to want a seared steak but also enjoy smoked food.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »

Well I don't agree with that analogy, nor do the thousands of people who have bought any searing option for their pellet grill, but to each their own. We all have different wants and needs. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it isn't for other people. Don't get on forums acting like it's is stupid to want a seared steak but also enjoy smoked food.

Tch! Tch!  Now shake hands and go play together. 

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 10:52:12 PM »

Well to me it's simple, I want the best pellet grill I can afford and gas grilling has nothing to do with that equation. Obviously everyone has different needs and desires. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up