Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coach me through this - Prime ribeye tomahawk steaks  (Read 921 times)

41magsnub

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Coach me through this - Prime ribeye tomahawk steaks
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »

Bought 2 of em..  almost 3lb a piece.  Planning on a rare finish.  This is about $60 worth of meat.  Help me improve on the plan.

Tools:

Rec Tec 680 with hickory or mesquite pellets

Weber Spirit gasser.

My basic plan

Salt and pepper rub night before. 

Smoke at 200 until IT is about 105, remove and rest. 

Fire up weber gasser to as hot as it will get and sear for 3 minutes per side.

Rest, then serve.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Coach me through this - Prime ribeye tomahawk steaks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 06:18:50 PM »

Wow! gtsum2, that looks perfect.  At 120 I'll bet they were MR but after resting and then searing came out M all the way through.  ?  Will have to try that.   :clap:

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »

Impressive, perfect color and no gray band at all showing on that one.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:59:19 PM »

We have a winner!!!!

Couldn't do it any better myself
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:24:31 AM »

Quick question.  Other than the cool presentation factor, which is kinda nice, is there any other reason to go with a tomahawk ribeye as opposed to a regular ribeye? 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »

Quick question.  Other than the cool presentation factor, which is kinda nice, is there any other reason to go with a tomahawk ribeye as opposed to a regular ribeye? 
The bone, the bone and the bone..Bones add taste. Then for caveman type, there is the handle.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

Bones add taste.

Opinion is divided on this.  There are cooking experts on both sides of the question.

My :2cents:.  Bone material, primarily calcium, doesn't have taste.  Bone marrow can certainly provide taste but it can't get to the adjacent meat by passing through the bones that remain rather dense after cooking.  The bones would need to be split in order to expose marrow.  BBQing, grilling and roasting typically exposes little marrow.

Louis Prima sang, "Closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat.  Last bite of a Virginia ham is the best bite you can eat."  That's hard to dispute, but I think that the special meat near the bone is usually due to cooking the connective tissue that ties the muscle and bone together.  It's largely collagen.  We love it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

scdaf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »

Your idea to sear for 3 minutes per side will overcook the exterior 3/8" or so.  gtsum2 has the right approach, for rare, pull from the smoke closer to 110.  I general go cast iron at 500 + degrees for 30 seconds per side, flip, repeat for a total of 1 minute per side.  Cast iron for the even browning.

41magsnub

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »

Your idea to sear for 3 minutes per side will overcook the exterior 3/8" or so.  gtsum2 has the right approach, for rare, pull from the smoke closer to 110.  I general go cast iron at 500 + degrees for 30 seconds per side, flip, repeat for a total of 1 minute per side.  Cast iron for the even browning.

Found some similar sized choice ribeyes, and did 1 minute on the weber.  Fantastic, best steaks ever except ended up medium rare.  Pulled from the smoker at 115-120 (the probe and the other thermometer disagreed).  This was a goof, was working on the roasted Brussel sprouts and lost track of time.  The smoker temp was a lot higher than I had wanted, even set to 180 the sun wouldn't let it be less than 240.  Need to rig up some shade for the tomahawk steaks or do it on a less sunny day.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:29:45 PM by 41magsnub »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »

I was just watching a TV show yesterday about a place in Pittsburgh that I think was named Meat and Potatoes.  They do the tomahawk chops but also split the bone for the marrow.  Serve it all on a Boos cutting board.  You may be able to Google the restaurant and find the video.

You may want to consider a pan of water or pan of ice in the grill with the steaks to help keep the grill temp down to offset the impact of the sun.

I had always heard that the bone in steaks help to keep more juices in the steak.  I've had the bone-in South Side filet in Chicago and a bone-in Kansas City strip steak in KC, and I really enjoyed both of them.  I am a cheap screw when it comes to buying my own though for the backyard, and only buy porterhouse with a bone to get the two separate steaks for my wife and I when they are on sale.  Otherwise, the net cost per # with the bone in is more expensive than without in most cases.

Anyway, looking forward to pics of your cook.  gtsum2 has set the bar high.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up