Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Sep 2017
  • Most of us have cooked all of the "conventional" type meats and fish on our pits -- grilled, roasted, smoked.  But what is the best "non-standard" thing you have cooked?

I know I will get some laughs here, but both Bentley and Larry loved fish sticks and tater tots cooked on the pit.  The fish sticks were just fish sticks, but man did I love those tater tots.  Put out a bunch on a frog mat and let them smoke and then turn up the heat and get crisp.  Tater tots on a pellet pit -- give it a try if you haven't already!!
  • #2 by Queball on 05 Sep 2017
  • Crab Imperial in Puffed Pastry shells.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Baked in zone 2 on a baking stone
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Soooo Rich!
    • Queball
  • #3 by Trooper on 05 Sep 2017
  • I love banana bread.
    I have a KAF recipe that I double and make two (standard pan & large pan) loafs in one session.

My pelletgrills are outdoor cooking devices, & I have often done banana bread in one of my my pelletgrills.
    I have also cooked fruit pies in my units (Ahhh--Hello ZCZ) and they come out fantastic as well.
  • #4 by Gringo on 05 Sep 2017
  • Peach Pie.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by pmillen on 05 Sep 2017
  • Beef tongue.

I didn't think anyone would be interested so I didn't take photos or post it.
  • #6 by Queball on 05 Sep 2017
  • And what was that like?
    • Queball
  • #7 by Bentley on 05 Sep 2017
  • The one year we bought a case of "State Fair" corn dogs at the American Royal from Restaurant Depot (I think it was 2014).  After about 45 minutes on about 300° (I think) they were as good as any deep fried corn dog I have ever had, and that I could not believe.  Maybe I was really hungry!
  • #8 by pmillen on 05 Sep 2017
  • And what was that like?

My father was a Lithuanian immigrant butcher.  We ate all of the beef.  I loved cold tongue sliced thin in sandwiches.

So—it was wonderful.

If you ever have the opportunity have a tongue (lingua, I think) taco.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Sep 2017
  • pierogies
  • #10 by pmillen on 05 Sep 2017
  • pierogies

Usually deep fried or sometimes boiled, right?  How did you do it on a pit?
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Sep 2017
  • We cooked an "international" competition in Tijuana, Mexico a few years back.  There were several Mexican teams that also competed.  We decided to participate in the mystery meat competition and were brought tongue to cook.  Most of the gringo teams seemed to be at a loss.  We braised it on the pit and then, I think, smoked it some.  Then cut into fine strips and chopped.  Mixed in some other spices and veggies and stuffed in a green pepper and back on the pit.

We got second (a Mexican team got first).  After the awards, some of the judges who had sampled ours told me they were convinced it had to be submitted by a Mexican team because so many of the entries were not good and they figured an American just did not know how to fix tongue.  I don't think we did either, but we had no problem experimenting and just throwing it out there!!!

• #12 by Bentley on 05 Sep 2017
  • They were Pablano's...Black bean and corn relish.
  • #13 by Queball on 05 Sep 2017
  • Pierogies - We boil gently in 1/4" of water in a pan and when the water evaporates, we add butter and fry them lightly. Add a little smoked sausage and some beets ..... Cold weather Polish Soul Food! ...... Make some with pulled pork or ground burnt ends some time. .... Oh! My
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
    I guess you could put them on a frog mat indirect in a cooker. Or oil them and set them on the char broiler grates? ...... carefully!
    • Queball
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Sep 2017
  • pierogies

Usually deep fried or sometimes boiled, right?  How did you do it on a pit?

I think I just put them on a cookie sheet in the Elite at 350°.  I probably should have put some melted butter on them and put on frog mats.  Maybe I will try that again one day.
  • #15 by Bentley on 05 Sep 2017
  • Pierogies...these are the dough with filling in them...or do they have something to do with potato's?
Pages:
Actions