Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend Grand Slam  (Read 1398 times)

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
Memorial Day Weekend Grand Slam
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:04 PM »

First - Thanks Grill Treats for the quick tip!  Glad I asked after messing with (5 attempts) ha!  Thanks MUCH!!!

Ok...better late than never... Memorial Day feast described by all guests as the best meal they have eaten....

Meat - Beef and Venison Filets... also Cowboy Ribeyes....  Half Hefer Dust - Half Joe Espresso Rub - 225 for 2 hours 15 mins.  Then Sear!  500 degrees (rested steaks 30 mins while smoker heated up).  Also flipped once at once at one hour mark.

Mac & Cheese - Costco prepared - added extra cheese on top and also some bread crumbs and a little bacon - smoke box top rack for two hours of smoke.  in smoker for heat up and for sear.  (starting at 225 then up to 500) - roughly 30 mins - was slight simmer of cheese and nice crust on top when pulled!

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos - 225 degrees for 2 hours - only minor failure... cheese dripped on to steaks.  ha.  AMAZING.. even kids liked them as the long cook took out a lot of bite of peppers.  Bacon was rediculous! 

Veggies in Basket  Olive Oil/Hefer Dust - smoke box for 90 mins.  move to smoker for last 30 mins after sear.

And viola..... Unbelievable steaks - tender, perfect smoke... described as succulent, ridiculous, amazing, etc.

After several just ok smokes was my first home run...and even will call it a grand slam! 

Only regret i didn't take a pic of it all together laid out on table on cutting board and ready for service! 

Love my RECTEC! 

RecTec RT-700 with Cold Smoking Box

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Memorial Day Weekend Grand Slam
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »

Good looking spread!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:45:55 PM »

Man that's making me hungry!  Thanks for the cooking tips too.  I haven't tried to do steaks yet on my RT.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

ncsmokeandgrill

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »

Amazing and tasty spread!! Way to go!!

southern_leo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »

How is the fat on the ribeyes? I'm about to buy a pellet grill and we cook a lot of steaks and I love the fat cooked over flames. How is it when cooked in the pellet Grill?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »

I will just say i was shocked how much i liked the steaks.  I honestly watched a half dozen videos on reverse sear and thought to myself that i was going to hate that part of the pellet grill.  I was SOOO wrong.  I like a little "char" on a steak.  So, also like a ribeye that flames up a bit to help with the crust and thought for sure i would not like these Ribeyes as much because they would be missing that.

The fat certainly reduces a bit but retains the juice.  There are obviously no flame ups.  But, I did not miss the char because of the wood flavor from the smoke.  I was shocked how much it tasted like i cooked it over an open wood fire. 

I am a spoiled guy when it comes to food.  Bad part of my job is a I travel a lot.  Good part is i eat at great steakhouses around the country and have tried them all.  (Del Friscos, Bobby Vans, Ruths Chris and even Peter Lugars).  The best steak i have ever had if from Charlies in Florida where they cook it over an open wood grill inside the resturant. Monster 20 oz filet.  Shockingly good wood fire taste there and this RecTec 700 method tasted just as good. 

Now... I have some strips out today and i don't have the 4 hours so i will use my weber and make them a traditional way.  But, the steak side of this was a shockingly good suprise.  I am anxious to do it again and likely will this weekend.  Even my kids are begging for it.  They normally can't tell between a flank, hamburger or Porterhouse... but i have 4 kids now begging for Ribeyes and Filets from the Rec Tec.  Ha...

One last note.  We had a bunch of folks over.  Almost everyone agreed you couldn't tase the difference between the Venison tenderloins and Prime Filets.  The texture was certainly different and the Vension was just a bit more dry (even less fat than beef filet). But pure taste.. people were asking for more "steak" and didn't care whether it was beef or venison. 

I think you will be happy with the pellet flavor for steaks too if you are patient.  Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:37:25 PM by Spartan Smoker »

southern_leo

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to type that out that was a great review of how steaks are on a pellet grill
I will just say i was shocked how much i liked the steaks.  I honestly watched a half dozen videos on reverse sear and thought to myself that i was going to hate that part of the pellet grill.  I was SOOO wrong.  I like a little "char" on a steak.  So, also like a ribeye that flames up a bit to help with the crust and thought for sure i would not like these Ribeyes as much because they would be missing that.

The fat certainly reduces a bit but retains the juice.  There are obviously no flame ups.  But, I did not miss the char because of the wood flavor from the smoke.  I was shocked how much it tasted like i cooked it over an open wood fire. 

I am a spoiled guy when it comes to food.  Bad part of my job is a I travel a lot.  Good part is i eat at great steakhouses around the country and have tried them all.  (Del Friscos, Bobby Vans, Ruths Chris and even Peter Lugars).  The best steak i have ever had if from Charlies in Florida where they cook it over an open wood grill inside the resturant. Monster 20 oz filet.  Shockingly good wood fire taste there and this RecTec 700 method tasted just as good. 

Now... I have some strips out today and i don't have the 4 hours so i will use my weber and make them a traditional way.  But, the steak side of this was a shockingly good suprise.  I am anxious to do it again and likely will this weekend.  Even my kids are begging for it.  They normally can't tell between a flank, hamburger or Porterhouse... but i have 4 kids now begging for Ribeyes and Filets from the Rec Tec.  Ha...

One last note.  We had a bunch of folks over.  Almost everyone agreed you couldn't tase the difference between the Venison tenderloins and Prime Filets.  The texture was certainly different and the Vension was just a bit more dry (even less fat than beef filet). But pure taste.. people were asking for more "steak" and didn't care whether it was beef or venison. 

I think you will be happy with the pellet flavor for steaks too if you are patient.  Good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

grilltreats

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »

Just one more thing/tip to add Spartan, and you may already know this too.  The Rec Tec runs slightly hotter on the right side due to the smoke stack.  Most people put the sear grates on the right side because of this for maximum sear grate temp.  Also, to avoid throwing off the pit probe located on the left side.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:18:15 PM »

Mighty nice SS!

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »

Very nice  :clap:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:55 AM »

And with a replay! 

Steaks are dynamite!  Maybe my favorite thing so far.  Quite a surprise as I thought for sure I would rarely use it for steaks!  Southern Leo - You will not be disappointed! 

Juicy and delicious! 

grilltreats

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »

Vice nice!  What's the details?
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Spartan Smoker

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »

same as memorial day up above. 

Tomahawks and Filets.   Seasoned with Hefer Dust...

225 for 3 hours..... turning once at 1.5 hours.

Turn smoker up to 500.  - Let rest while waiting for temp to move up from the 225 to the 500. 

Sear for 3 mins then half turn three more minutes... flip.... and repeat...

Rest about 15 mins and then i slice them and serve almost like shaved beef so people can grab the wellness they prefer. 

Full wood smoke flavor.  Rich.. juicy.... amazing!   T-hawks medium rare.   Filets medium rare to medium. 

Feed 6 with a whole plate left over for pita wraps and then salad the next two days! 

grilltreats

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »

Thanks!  Those are some serious grill marks.  Did you keep the sear plates on the left side?  I would like to try this with the 100% mesquite wood I have.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »

Mr Slow finally figure out that the title had nothing to do with what this was cooked on!  Nice job!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up