Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tailgating Pit Would You Buy?  (Read 3065 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Which Tailgating Pit Would You Buy?
« on: July 05, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »

I don't know much about the smaller pits that would, literally, sit on a pickup tailgate.  So chime-in and tell me which one you think may be my best choice for smoking, not grilling.

I suppose you'll have to consider power requirements, e.g., 12V or 110.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Matt_Hickman

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Which Tailgating Pit Would You Buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:39:44 PM »

Rec tec, traeger, green mountain make good tailgaters. Check out the rec tec mini.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »

I bought a Davy Crockett and thought it sucked, so I sold it and bought a Traeger Junior with folding legs. That's the smoker I carry in our 5th wheel and it has served me well for what I need. I've used it for wings, ribs, pork chops, bacon and even burgers and steak. I've done a few full packers that turned out very well. I've run it off of an inverter connected to the camper batteries. Lately I've been using a 346wh portable UPS Battery backup from Chafon. I paid $261.00 for it on Amazon, but good luck finding one now. The price is way up now for some reason.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »

I would go for the Traeger Jr. I owned one for many years (Was my intro smoker) and didnt let me down. Small enough for tailgating but big enough for a whole spatchcocked turkey. Some of the other "tailgating" models are just too small.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:47:55 PM »

I have been using my Traeger Junior with the tailgate kit for over 5 years with no issues.  Some of my best smokes have been in it while traveling in my motorhome across the country.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Matt_Hickman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »

Rec tec RT340 trailblazer is a really nice unit with folding legs.  Heavier duty construction ........and a nice PID controller with wifi now. 

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

rdsbucks

• "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »

The Rec Tec for sure.
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »

I've never used one, but the Camp Chef looks like it is pretty portable but is about 8# so may not be quite a tailgater.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Maynerd

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:50 PM »

I can't speak to the quality of this grill but I believe I saw somewhere Walmart had these on clearance for about 200

https://pitboss-grills.com/pit-boss-340

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »

FWIW, if you are truly using it for tailgating, I think that almost any of the small grills will work. However, if you are going to use it in your RV, weight and ease of setup become a factor. I bought my DC for usage in conjunction with my 40' motorhome and that only lasted for one trip. For me, it was too heavy and inconvenient to horse in and out of the storage area (slide-out bin).   :2cents: 
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »

I have a Traeger Tailgater that I mounted on a cart.  It was like a newborn calf standing for the first time with the factory legs.  I didn't like the crazy temp swings with the factory controller and replaced it with the Ortech controller.  I've been really impressed with it once I did that.  All I cook on it are chicken breasts and poppers at 275 and cook everything else on the GMG DB.   :lick:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

RWhyman

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:23 PM »

Rec tec RT340 trailblazer is a really nice unit with folding legs.  Heavier duty construction ........and a nice PID controller with wifi now. 

I have a Traeger Junior, but after researching the Rec Tec I think that would be my choice today. I haven't had any real problems with the Junior other than running out of pellets in the auger tube due to the design of the pellet box. Still had pellets in the box, they just won't all feed into the tube.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 06:44:42 AM »

I also have the Traeger Junior which was my first pellet smoker that I bought in 2013.  It has the tailgate kit and fits perfect in my motorhome or the back of my SUV.  It does just about anything I want it to do.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Matt_Hickman

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »

I have a Traeger Junior, but after researching the Rec Tec I think that would be my choice today. I haven't had any real problems with the Junior other than running out of pellets in the auger tube due to the design of the pellet box. Still had pellets in the box, they just won't all feed into the tube.
Yep. The rec tec is most definitely a better built unit. Although it is heavier , therefore holds its heat much better than the thin traeger models do.  Also,  you will not find a finer customer service than with rec tec.  It's world class.

Matt_Hickman

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »

The rec tec also has two onboard meat probes.  That's handy.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up