Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bobitis on 11 Jul 2018
  • Hmm. 

Post and you will feel the pain of the husband/wife team.

Will be interested to find out who the husband wife team is?  Folks are always so sure of their facts, until they find out they are wrong.

A new WWF category?

"Ladiessssssss and gentlemennnnn.... In the Red corner.... The BENTLEY'S".....
  • #17 by Clonesmoker on 12 Jul 2018
  • Just my  :2cents: here.  I had similar issues when I got my DB.  First cook were two 14 lb briskets.  Started at 9 pm and checked at 11 before going to bed.  Woke up around 4am and the briskets were already done and temp was at 200. 50 - 75 degree temp swings from left to right. Called up GMG service. They upgraded my controller to a WiFi. Still was having temp swings. I had the old heat shield and I ended up cutting slots in it to allow me to slide it left or right.  Still had temp issues and the thermocoupler went bad and was doing burgers and the LED was over 500!!  burned the wiring harness. GMG promptly sent me a new controller, thermocoupler and wiring harness. This is was back in 2017 and I still haven't installed the wiring harness as it functions fine. My DB is a 2015 model and sure I was not happy with it but GMG kept working with me on it, even sent me a new heat shield as I was still getting some temp swings yet.  I installed a 3" stove pipe elbow on the inside, added a second rack, put a Corian front shelf on it put in two oven therms, thermal blanket, GMG cover, and a small water pan (small loaf pan). It sits outside year round also.

Since my DB was gift, I went directly to GMG Customer Service. They have been great and very helpful. Sorry to hear the issues on your Dad's.  I have been very pleased with mine even after all the issues I had. I recommended this to friends and they have actually gotten one. They love it. Temps are very even now, WiFi option is great to use (nice to be able to change the temp right from the bedroom, when doing an overnight cook.  I never got to the point of futility with it. Just took my time with it. I was a member on the old Pelletheads site and gathered info there along with here on PF. 
  • #18 by Jon515 on 16 Jul 2018
  • I had temperature fits with my GMG DB.  Called them, they sent me replacement stuff, adjusted heat shields a few times, installed a downdraft.  Today I ran the pit at 150 for 2 hours, secondary thermometer read 151 in the middle of the grate.  Bumped to 350, secondary read 352... sounds like OP got a bad unit. Thats my .02.
  • #19 by imahawki on 17 Jul 2018
  • I had temperature fits with my GMG DB.  Called them, they sent me replacement stuff, adjusted heat shields a few times, installed a downdraft.  Today I ran the pit at 150 for 2 hours, secondary thermometer read 151 in the middle of the grate.  Bumped to 350, secondary read 352... sounds like OP got a bad unit. Thats my .02.

Two bad "units", multiple controllers, multiple temp probes and didn't modify my grill with a downdraft to get it to work right.  Glad you got a good one.
  • #20 by mowin on 05 Feb 2019
  • I too, like a lot of others on this site, thought you and Bentley we're married. I thread sometime ago mentioned that you were siblings. Surprised a few of us.
  • #21 by zueth on 07 Feb 2021
  • I would suggest the 1 piece heat shield slid all the way to the right and the downdraft.   No problems here after those changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages:
Actions