Poll: Do you use grill grates in your pellet pit?

Yes, over the direct flame zone.
- 3 (12%)
Yes, in the regular smoking zone.
- 8 (32%)
No.
- 14 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 05 Sep 2017
  • It seems as though GrillGrates have been hot the past few years.

(See what I did there?  GrillGrates...Hot.  I crack me up.)

So—Do you use them in your pellet unit?
  • #2 by Bentley on 05 Sep 2017
  • Have a set that I used to use quite frequently with the Daniel Boone.  Not because it would not get hot enough to grill, but I never was fond of the thin grates.  Had all the pits together in Pasadena...Since having only room for one unit on the patio here, we chose to put the Pro on patio and it simply does not need it for heat or grill size.

Still a good product!
  • #3 by Queball on 05 Sep 2017
  • Because of the PG's char broiler and the heating power zone 1 has, just never thought them necessary. I guess thinking about cleaning them deterred me the most.
    • Queball
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Sep 2017
  • I think I have two sets but have not used them yet.  Another one of those these look great I gotta buy some pellet grill traps.  One of these days I need to give them a try as people seem to be pleased with the results.
  • #5 by pmillen on 05 Sep 2017
  • Because of the PG's char broiler and the heating power zone 1 has, just never thought them necessary. I guess thinking about cleaning them deterred me the most.

They clean easily.  I use them, but not on my pellet unit.

I don't think that would work well in a PG500/1000.  I think that, without modification, they would disrupt the carefully engineered air flow.

You can grind some of the material out with a Dremel Tool or equivalent and they seem to work okay.
  • #6 by pz on 05 Sep 2017
  • I mostly cook below 275 degrees in the pellet pit, but on the rare occasions I go high, I'll throw in the Grill Grates, which I purchased for my gas grill that has significant uneven temperatures. The Grill Grates have smoothed out the hot spots, which develop even in my pellet cooker Traeger) at higher temperatures.
  • #7 by ZCZ on 05 Sep 2017

Ditto with the Memphis Pro.  Capable of high searing heat (650°).

Z
  • #8 by Lothar1974 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I dont use them on the Memphis Elite, I do use them on my charcoal grill and gasser as the grates are thin especially on the charcoal grill. 
  • #9 by riverrat49 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I use them at home for Competition side categories and will use them for a second year at the World Food Championships, great product...
  • #10 by SmokinHandyman on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have some. Haven't used it but twice.
    I need to get use to using them more.
    Got a good deal on them, traded a thermopop for them
  • #11 by Bentley on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have seen folks flip them and use as a griddle.  I prefer a "grilled" burger, as opposed to a flattop for lack of a better term burger.  I guess it is much like Burger King over McDonalds...as far as how the burger is cooked.  Some really like that burger crust, maillard reaction I guess!
  • #12 by pz on 06 Sep 2017
  • This is a bit off topic, but I really like the grates to do chicken thighs on the gasser - because of the small holes, high flame never reaches the meat as the fat in the thighs melt, drips into the flame, and catches fire. Using the Grill Grates is one of the few times I don't end up with soot on the thighs. I probably just need to get more practice on the pellet cookers because of the way the fat drains.
  • #13 by riverrat49 on 06 Sep 2017
  • Both A and B above since there is no "Both" answer  :)
  • #14 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have tried them on my Memphis Pro but it will get to  650° So I quickly realized I have no need for them
  • #15 by Bobitis on 06 Sep 2017
  • Because my Traeger Jr is at the bottom of the spectrum for grilling, I use them for steaks, chops, burgers etc. I also find them useful when doing veggies that need to be flipped. That custom fit spatula is the bomb.

Pages:
Actions