Poll: Do you use grill grates in your pellet pit?

Yes, over the direct flame zone.
- 3 (12%)
Yes, in the regular smoking zone.
- 8 (32%)
No.
- 14 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by pmillen on 06 Sep 2017
  • That custom fit spatula is the bomb.

It's a forkula.
  • #17 by GrillinGlen on 06 Sep 2017
  • I used to use them until I upgraded my Pro to open flame technology.  Even though the pro can go to 650 I liked them because I could get nice marks at lower temps.
  • #18 by Phrett on 06 Sep 2017
  • ive used them a few times but didnt see any difference in the end product in taste.  Now with the Pro definitely dont need them.
  • #19 by MP09 on 06 Sep 2017
  • I use them occasionally with great success.  I've even put the buns on them to toast them up a bit. Works great with brats...
  • #20 by Jimsbarbecue on 07 Sep 2017
  • We use ours. Upside down a lot for fish and burgers. Right side up for veggies
  • #21 by ScottE on 08 Sep 2017
  • I have a full width set for my CS450 and I'm really happy with them overall. Most of the time I leave only 1/2 of them in (on the left, over the firebox), and have a regular grill on the right half. This makes things pretty versatile for the amount I typically smoke and grill.

They have also replaced my use of baskets for things such as fajitas - I put the grates in full-width and upside down as a flat-top. They work really well for this, and cook much faster and more even.

The CS450 has a searing port, but it tends to have a lot of flare up with regular grates - the grillgrates help a bunch with that, though it can be tricky to keep them below 800 degrees when over direct flame.
  • #22 by ScottE on 09 Sep 2017
  • I'll post a couple pictures of these in my grill.

First up, some drumsticks:
  • #23 by ScottE on 09 Sep 2017
  • Flipped over as a flat-top with bacon:

• #24 by ScottE on 09 Sep 2017
  • My usual configuration - but simple to snap in two more grillgrates to get full width, or take them all out and put the other regular grate in as needed.

I ordered full-length grates, but you can also just place them on top of the regular grates if you prefer.
Pages:
Actions