Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gram Scale Information Requested  (Read 1140 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Gram Scale Information Requested
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

I am making an attempt to do some sourdough baking( in the Memphis). A scale is required to do it properly. The accuracy range should be from "0" up to a few hundred grams...Searching has left me with

more questions and concerns than when I started. Some of the negatives were; Low battery life. Questionable accuracy. Flimsy construction. Stoped working. Not exactly as shown. The list goes on..I am sure if

I were to spend a few hundred $ to buy a brand name scale, the results would be fine..I am not cheap (sort of). I am hoping to get something for under $100.  What I don't want is having to purchase a

replacement(s) due to some fo the fore mentioned problems.  Any ideas?

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Gram Scale Information Requested
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »

I've had this for over 5 years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012LOQUQ

This one has a max of 100 gram, but I think they make a similar model that goes to 500 gm.

I use it almost every day and have never changed the battery. It's extremely accurate. It's a sensitive instrument so you need to handle with care - if you drop it, it will probably break.

A friend of mine has this one:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCKQG7G

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »

Bought this in January, have not replaced batteries yet.  Got it to have for accurate amounts of cure, and also yeast.  Used primarily for baking and curing.  Was nice to know that 3.8 pounds of liquid came off SV cook.  About $15 with shipping.  I would buy it again! 

As far as accuracy, good point & question.  I guess I need to find out what the weight of a penny is and go see!

Ozeri Digital Scale

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:00:52 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »

2015 US Penny.  I guess my scale is accurate to +- 0.11grams, which I think is pretty accurate...

All U.S. pennies (1-cent pieces) minted since 1982 weigh either 2.5 grams (0.088 ounces) or 3.11 grams (0.109). The 2.5 grams Lincoln Penny is composed of brass (95% copper, 5% zinc), while the 3.11 grams Union Shield is composed of copper-plated zinc (97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper). All current U.S. pennies have a diameter of 19.05 mm, a thickness of 1.52 mm, and are composed primarily of zinc (97.5%) with a copper plating (2.5%).

bregent

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »

You know I'm thinking for sourdough you don't need anything that does sub-gram weights and so a larger scale is more appropriate, like the one Bentley posted.

But my family bought me this last year:  https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Perfect-Smart-Kitchen-Recipe/dp/B019C4PTSW

It's seems like a bit of a novelty item, but actually works really well. You can enter different recipes and it automatically tares and resets for each ingredient. And the app lets you easily scale recipes. They also make an app for cocktails and other things. And for simple measurements, there's a display so you don't need to use the app. 

One really cool feature is that if you over pour an ingredient, it automatically adjust the other ingredients.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:23:09 PM by bregent »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

I bought this one but unfortunately I have not used it yet.  I bought it for the # of decimal place accuracy.  It had good reviews and was not very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCKQG7G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »

I have a Salter 'diet scale'   aka Colorado ( not sure if that name has anything to do with recreational use of herb there , but I don't think so )...

This is a small scale, measures to 100th of a gram and up to 500 grams.   I was initially very happy with this scale, but over time, something happened and it doesn't like completely shut down and burns through batteries even when not powered on, so I'm less happy with it now. I have to stick something in it to prevent one of the batteries from making contact, in order to avoid it draining batteries when not in use.

I originally bought it, because I was able to buy it locally , I ended up paying like $25 for it, even when I knew you could buy similar scales for half that price online.   

Meanwhile, for me, the ability to weight to 100th of a gram resolution is important.  My main use for that ability is in measuring yeast for single pizza sized dough balls, and to be able to achieve the kind of accuracy in measuring this small amount of yeast...   It is also handy for measuring cure in small amounts, but yeast measurement is really the main reason I want and/or need this resolution.

When it comes time to replace what I have now, I'll be looking for something different, but highly doubt I'd ever spend more then $20 on one.   I'd love to have a scale that could measure 100th of a gram on up to a Kilo, but as near as I can tell, they don't exist in anything reasonably priced, and at the prices I have seen for scales that might do it, I'm more than happy to buy one small scale, and one lager one ( with less resolution )
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »

There are recipes you use for pizza dough that call for less then 1g of yeast?

Canadian John

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »

2015 US Penny.  I guess my scale is accurate to +- 0.11grams, which I think is pretty accurate...

All U.S. pennies (1-cent pieces) minted since 1982 weigh either 2.5 grams (0.088 ounces) or 3.11 grams (0.109). The 2.5 grams Lincoln Penny is composed of brass (95% copper, 5% zinc), while the 3.11 grams Union Shield is composed of copper-plated zinc (97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper). All current U.S. pennies have a diameter of 19.05 mm, a thickness of 1.52 mm, and are composed primarily of zinc (97.5%) with a copper plating (2.5%).

That is some very interesting information Uncle Bentley. Now all I have to do is figure out the weights in Canadian coin..Just love that sort of info!

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »

I have been using this one for just over 4 years with no issues.  EBay and lucky clover are good sources for bannetons / brotforms.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »

There are recipes you use for pizza dough that call for less then 1g of yeast?

Sure there are... here's one.

180 grams flour
105 grams water
8 grams oil
3 grams salt
0.5 grams Instant dry yeast

but it's not so much about being able to weight less than a gram total , it's about being able to measure the difference between 2 grams and 2.15 grams if I desire. 

430 g - All Trumps flour
245 g - Water ( 57% )
 8.6 g - Sugar (  2% )
 8.6 g - Salt (  2% )
 4.3 g - Oil (  1% )
2.15 g - IDY ( 0.5% )

I like to play around, and prefer doing it in small batches ( like single dough ball, or maybe 2 at the most ).   I find that very small changes in yeast, and even other ingredients can make noticeable changes in the way dough behaves.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:34:10 PM by Darwin »

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:34:19 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:24 PM »

Ohh, I like this feature very much!  Not sure I would pay $40 for it, but it would be nice for big and irregular items!

Innovative Display pulls away from base to prevent shadowing from large plates or bowls...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:23:22 PM by Bentley »

Canadian John

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »

A Canadian twist on scale calibration sets..Stolen from Bentley - sort of..Canadian coin weights:

1 cent, year 2,000 >  =   2.35g.

5 cents   "        "    "   =  3.95g.

10 cents "         "    "  =  1.75g.

25 cents "        "    "   =  4.4g.

$1          "    2,012*   =  6.27g.   

$2          "      "     *    =  6.92g. 

* = Spring of 2,002>.  The coins were heavier prior to these dates due to the metals used...... The 5 and 10 cent pieces look promising as well as the $2.

As long as I don't spend it, I have a basic scale check set..

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:31:03 PM by Canadian John »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up