Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade hot dogs and sausage  (Read 1263 times)

tim202

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Homemade hot dogs and sausage
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »

Hi all !!! I'm thinking I'd like to try my hand at from scratch hot dogs and sausage and just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with that using a Rec Tec? I'm really leaning towards ordering the Stampede.
Thanks, Tim

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Homemade hot dogs and sausage
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »

Are you wanting to cook them on the Rec Tec or are you wanting to dry them on the Rec Tec as part of the curing process at low temps?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

tim202

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:07:04 PM »

Looking to make them from scratch and finish/smoke them on the Rec Tec...alot of recipes i've seen seem to call for low temps for finishing hot dogs.
Thanks, Tim

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »

I'm not sure that the Rec Tec gets that low in temps.  If I recall correctly, I think the instructions suggest starting at 130 and working your way up 10 degrees at a time.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »

The RT only goes down to 180, that is one of the drawbacks to them, and why I have a GMG and a Pit Boss now they will both go down to 150. Also the rec tec really isn't made to hang things in, a vertical cooker works much better, unfortunately there are few choices in the under $3K range. The Pit Boss and Masterbuilt, I see that it looks like Dennis at Pellet Pro is possible soon coming out with one.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »

very few pellet grills go down bellow 180F reliably...  Even fewer actually have a temperature setting for anything below 180F    I think GMG is probably the most affordable that does have a temperature setting down to 150F , a bit more expensive, but the only other I can think of that advertised being able to be set down to 160F are the Blazn' Grillworks grills. 

But then some grills can actually run bellow their lowest set temperature too.   Not sure exactly how low the Stampede can go and/or how it's "LOW" setting actually works.  I know on a 80F day, I can't get mine to run much bellow 180F, I don't know what will happen in the fall and/or winter when ambient temperatures drop... that remains to be seen I guess.

If 'smoking' things like sausage  and hot dogs is key to what you want to be able to do with a pellet grill, I would suggest you need to keep looking at other grills, and be very specific about your need/desire to run down well bellow 180F.     

I manage to do this on my PG500 in late fall and winter... but even then,  it can be tricky getting down to 150F or lower in a consistent manner, ambient conditions become a significant factor.    The only GMG grill I own is the Davy Crockett... I'm pretty confident that I can get it to run at 150F all day long in cooler months, but it's so small that there's not much I would do on it at that temperature... I have considered just piping the smoke stack of my Davy Crockett into a box that I could 'cold' smoke in, to me that is the most  likely way I would deal with it...

Anyway, good luck... I really don't think the Stampede would be your best choice for that kind of thing. A Bull with 'cold smoke' box attached might do what you want, but when you go to that , your at about $1430, which is a lot of coin.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:09:29 AM by LowSlowJoe »
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

tim202

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »

Thank you Gentlemen for all your input....I was afraid the answer would be negative....oh well.
I will more that likey still push the button on the Stampede for all the other great reasons to get one.
Guess if I want to pursue hot dog and suasage making I'll have to look into another option too.
Thanks again !!!! Tim

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »

Thank you Gentlemen for all your input....I was afraid the answer would be negative....oh well.
I will more that likey still push the button on the Stampede for all the other great reasons to get one.
Guess if I want to pursue hot dog and suasage making I'll have to look into another option too.
Thanks again !!!! Tim

Pit Boss vertical smokers may do the trick and are relatively inexpensive compared to other pellet grills but they come with a few known issues.  You can read up on most of it on this site - good and not so good.  Most can be avoided.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »

Maybe not ideal, but I often smoke hot links on the pellet grill at 180F. You just really got to watch to make sure the fat is not rendering. 

kruz805

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »

The Rec Tec cold smoke box might work.  I don't have one and some of the test info I have seen on it gets down to a 140°F to 150°F range that is recommended by some recipes (https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/wiener).  Plus the square design with the drip tray removed would allow smoking stands to be placed into the unit.
Rec Tec  Broilmaster Grill Certified Beer Judge

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:09 PM »

I would like to think the Rec Tec cold smoke box would work, especially if placed a block of ice frozen in a tray in the bottom of it.  Might not be the best setup, but I believe you could make it work.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 07:55:51 AM »

The RT box would not work on the stampede because it has the rear exhaust, he would need to cut a hole for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up