Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 12 Jul 2018
  • As I keep reading more about the one piece drip tray I am tempted to try it.  My two piece has been working for me, but with some modifications I do whenever I smoke something.  My DB has always got the bottom of everything I smoke a little over done.  I made a second grate that I use for when I am smoking to keep the meat up from the heat some.  I also use a cheap perforated foil tray that I place on the original grates.  This spreads the heat out some more.  But I am now thinking how simple it would be to just use the single drip tray.  My Traeger Junior uses a single drip tray and I wrap it with foil.  I am assuming the new one piece tray is being wrapped with foil.

Being the one piece trays have been out for a little while I am wondering how they are doing vs the two piece trays?  I agree with some of the owner's comments in other threads that using both may be the best option. I would use the one piece for smoking and use the two piece for grilling. 
  • #2 by RemoGaggi on 12 Jul 2018
  • I don't have a DB, but I do have a Davy Crockett and I switched to the 1-piece drip pan.  It cured all the heat issues (burnt bottoms, crispy edges).  Now the heat is super even throughout my DC.  The difference of the 1-piece in my DC cannot be overstated.  It was a significant difference and for me, turned my DC into a different smoker - for the better.

I truly believe the 2-piece the pans are problematic as I believe the holes permit hot air to penetrate the pans even in the "closed" position.  See my other posts on this board.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2510.msg34855#msg34855
  • #3 by sleebus.jones on 12 Jul 2018
  • Yep, I think you're on to something here.  I saved my 1 piece pan from my JB, but I'm seriously contemplating getting a 1 piece for my DC as I do get a bit of the overdone bottom.  When the 2-piece is new, it's fine, but over time it warps and then it really doesn't function as a closed pan when you slide it shut.
  • #4 by Clonesmoker on 12 Jul 2018
  • I have the 2 piece tray but just use the bottom on my DB. I will put about 5 layers of foil on it and then after about 3-4 cooks I will peel the top layer off and I am good to go. Pretty slick and easy clean up. Mine hasn't warped, but then again, since I am not using the top one, maybe it has and I just don't know it.
  • #5 by Clonesmoker on 31 Jul 2018
  • A couple of pics of my use of aluminum foil on the 2 piece drip tray. I just use the bottom tray. Layer about 5 or so sheets of foil on it and then pull of each sheet when it gets dirty.  The attached sheet had at least 10 cooks on it. I am down to the last sheet. Took a couple of minutes to remove the tray and take the dirty sheet of foil off and reinstall. Pretty quick and easy.
  • #6 by reubenray on 31 Jul 2018
  • I foiled the top tray a few times and it always held in grease on top instead of the grease draining out into the grease cup.
  • #7 by just4fn on 30 Jun 2020
  • So, If you had to pick one, would you pick the 2 piece or the one piece drip tray.  I have that option right now.
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 01 Jul 2020
  • I had the regular steel tray on my DB and it was warped.  I think the guy I got it from did a lot of high heat cooks.  I got the two piece after it came out thinking it would work better and boy howdy was I wrong.  I didn't much care for it and went back to the one piece even though it was warped.  I don't bother foiling the tray and the one piece is much easier to clean.  I never did bother getting a new one.  My neighbor has the pit right now and is trying it to see if they like it because he is thinking about buying it.
  • #9 by zueth on 07 Feb 2021
  • I had the 2 piece and hated it, went back to the 1 piece and much better. I modified the one piece so I can slide all the way to the right, it helps with even heat distribution. I don’t bother to cover in foil, the drippings scrape right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages:
Actions