Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a Yoder vs. Blazn battle!  (Read 4677 times)

rdsbucks

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • "Everything rises and falls with leadership." -JM
    • I'm a leader in Dr. John Maxwell's foundation.
Let's have a Yoder vs. Blazn battle!
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

The YS 640 and the Grid Iron are the exact same price, $1449. And they are similar: both have heavy construction, both are American made, and have a similar amount of cooking space, etc. But which is better and why? I would love to have comments especially from those who have owned them (but everyone's opinion is welcome). What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:43:42 AM by rdsbucks »
Fast Eddy's Cookshack PG 500 Pit Barrel Cooker Traeger Tailgater

imahawki

• Using less gas.
Re: Let's have a Yoder vs. Blazn battle!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »

I'm guessing few people are going to have owned both.  I'm sure some have come from cheaper units like GMG to one of these.  When I bought my Blaz'n, Yoder and RecTec were the two I cross shopped.  I'm in Omaha NE and I can get Blaz'n locally which I couldn't get the other two without mail ordering.  That means I got free delivery of an assembled unit so it was kind of a no-brainer.  I live my unit.  I love the removable ash-pot, I love the larger hopper, but most importantly I love the fact that I get almost NO temperature variation across the grill and no temperature swings.  I did have an auger jam due to rain infiltration, something I never had with my GMG but the retailer I purchased it from came out and fixed it and I've kept it covered when not in use since.

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »

I have a Blaz'n Grand Slam. I love having the pro shelves. I just wish it were bigger and made out of stainless steel.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »

I guess I will chime in as I have owned both. To me the biggest advantage of the Grid Iron is the pull out fire box which makes dumping ashes between cooks nice. The biggest disadvantage to me is the auger. I haven't had any auger fires but I prefer having my pellets dropped into the fire pot. I almost didn't buy the Grid Iron because of this. What swayed me to the Grid Iron was the Pro Shelves. I needed/wanted the extra space.

I'm not on the PID train as to me it is just a markerting thing. I never had any issue with temp swings with my Yoder so I guess that is why I'm not on the PID train. 

Which is my favorite? I guess the Grid Iron because that is my current unit. My Yoder didn't have the Comp Cart and my Grid Iron does. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. All I know eating food of the YS640 added extra lbs to my frame. The same has happened with the Grid Iron  ;D
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

RWhyman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »

I currently own both a Yoder 640 and a Blaz'n Grand Slam. I use both of them often. Probably one or the other 4 or 5 times a week. The two piece defuser plate on the Yoder is a must in my opinion. It's great for grilling as well as cleaning the fire box.  If I had to get rid of one, I'd have a hard time trying to figure out which one would go. But that's not going to happen. I normally smoke smaller quantities, so it's low and slow, I use the Blaz'n. I also use the Blaz'n for high temp pizza cooks on the top full shelf. I have the pro shelves. For direct grilling and larger quantity slow smokes, I use the Yoder. Both have worked nearly flawlessly. And both are built like a tank. Customer service has be great from both. Maybe a slightly quicker response from Blaz'n. I bought the Blaz'n new and then later I got a good deal on a one year old used Yoder.

So, no help here. Good luck trying to figure this one out.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

rdsbucks

Re: Let's have a Yoder vs. Blazn battl
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

Hey guys great comments and thanks for your input. Any thoughts on the different fire pots, both in the shape and style of them and in the location of the pots, Yoder's being on the left side and BGW's being in the middle?

Another pit I like that is also tank-like, slightly smaller, and a little pricier is the Pitts and Spitts 850.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »

Hey guys great comments and thanks for your input. Any thoughts on the different fire pots, both in the shape and style of them and in the location of the pots, Yoder's being on the left side and BGW's being in the middle?

I prefer the Yoder's pot on the left side mainly because pellets drop into the fire pot. With the Blaz'n fire pot being in the middle, the pellets are pushed into the fire pot. It is just a personal preference on my part.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »

[/quote]

I prefer the Yoder's pot on the left side mainly because pellets drop into the fire pot. With the Blaz'n fire pot being in the middle, the pellets are pushed into the fire pot. It is just a personal preference on my part.
[/quote]

Maybe the dropped pellets work better than the pushed pellets? Sorry could not resist that.  However, the dropped pellet smoker is unlikely to ever have an auger fire.  On the other hand the push pellet fire pot is in the middle.  I think there is more even heat distribution across the grids? Oh well I like them both but would like to see either in Stainless. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

On the other hand the push pellet fire pot is in the middle.  I think there is more even heat distribution across the grids? Oh well I like them both but would like to see either in Stainless.

Memphis is drop and in the middle.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MSOLSON

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »

About 2 years ago, I had narrowed my choice down to these two grills. I chose the Blaz'n Grand Slam with ProShelves and the direct sear option. I read Bentley's review of the Blaz'n grill and watched a lot of You Tube videos for peoples opinions. The Yoder's option list is more expensive than the Blaz'n's list. Shipping was almost $100 more for the Yoder than the Blaz'n. The Blaz'n standard wheels looked larger than the Yoders (important to me at the time because of my garage apron 2-3 inch drop). Tim at Blaz'n gave me a great Black Friday price. I have never regretted my choice. PS I have never had any auger issues (I store the grill in my garage).
Blaz'n Grand Slam Kenmore Gasser Electric Smoker Brinkman offset smoker

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »

On the other hand the push pellet fire pot is in the middle.  I think there is more even heat distribution across the grids? Oh well I like them both but would like to see either in Stainless.

Memphis is drop and in the middle.

True but expensive.

MP09

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »

My  buddy has a Yoder and i a Grid Iron. Both work well and get the job done. My buddy does like my fire pot clean out and a few minor things a tad better. I feel there both well built and you cant go wrong with either one...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

rdsbucks

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:46:03 PM »

I had a great conversation with Tim at BGW and I have pretty much decided that's the direction I'm going. That guy is just a good guy. And I think I'm going to build it in while leaving access to the fire pot and grease bucket. The only thing that might make me rethink it is if I go up in price and look at Maks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up