Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Mustard Really Work?  (Read 3726 times)

Queball

Does Mustard Really Work?
« on: September 05, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »

Just reviewed PMillens tasty bone in pork roast recipe in the recipe section, and he slathered the roast in mustard and patted his spices on. I've never done it. .... I've seen other cooks for things like pulled pork where a similar technique is used. Does the mustard really hold the spices on, versus rubbing the spices well into the meat without it? ...... Do you use a different method than mustard? .... or none at all? Does the mustard impart an additional flavor to the finished cook?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Does Mustard Really Work?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

I think it does.  Most folks that use it say it cooks off and there is no flavor from the mustard, but I find it leaves a bitter taste for me, so I only did it once about 10 years ago.

For butts or ribs, I prefer molasses, both for sticking ability, color and bark! 
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »

It works for the rub sticking. Just because I always have a squeeze bottle of oil around that is what I use. Same difference to me.

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

I like using mustard as glue because I slather it on thick, which allows me to use more rub than I can get to stick using other methods. In fact, I mostly like to mix the rub with mustard in a small bowl before applying the mix just so I don't waste any rub by my clumsy shaker technique  ;D
PZ

Queball

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »

PZ
Have you ever done a comparison test with/without to see if the mustard changed (Good or bad) the flavor of you finished cook. I use oil like FMT since I've read most spices are oil soluble and it gets them working.

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »

PZ
Have you ever done a comparison test with/without to see if the mustard changed (Good or bad) the flavor of you finished cook. I use oil like FMT since I've read most spices are oil soluble and it gets them working.

Interestingly I have not noticed a difference in flavor, although I have not actually done a side by side comparison. My thought is that the strength of the rub ingredients overcomes any flavor the mustard imparts, but then again, my wife tells me that I don't have any taste.  :D

I think it is true about oil absorbing anything that is fat soluble, and I sometimes use oil as well, but mostly when I want to use smaller amounts of whatever spice I'm using.  I only use mustard when I want lots to stick and not fall off.
PZ

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »

I just paper towel down the meat to remove alot of the outside liquid, and have no problems with rub sticking to the meat without any "glue".  Like Bentley, I tried the mustard thing many years ago and thought the mustard taste was still there after the cook. 
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Queball

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »

Do teams use it in competitions?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »

Some teams do.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »

That particular recipe calls for Dijon rather than cheap yellow mustard, referred to as CYM on a lot of cooking boards.  So I'm guessing that some taste lingers.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

TLK

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »

i use cheap yellow mustard on butts and ribs.  I don't notice any mustard taste but do think it helps hold the rub to the meat.  Dijon mustard on salmon where (I think) you can taste the mustard after about a 2 hour smoke.
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »

I have used yellow mustard for over 30 years and you can't taste it.  Once in awhile I will use Dijon on my ribs and that adds a flavor which is a nice change of pace.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »

I have used yellow mustard for over 30 years and you can't taste it.  Once in awhile I will use Dijon on my ribs and that adds a flavor which is a nice change of pace.

I don't taste the CYM but some people say they can.  I don't have a way to dispute that.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »

I also used it on ribs and butts in my early years of BBQ, wife and i feel like we couldn't taste the mustard, but didn't do side by side. Now i just rinse the meat and put the rub on heavy on the wet meat.  We have been the happiest with the bark doing it this way. Cant really remember how the bark was different but im guessing it was softer with the mustard.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

I have used it for glue. My bark always comes out good,not too hard, kinda soft
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up