Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumps in Rub  (Read 1027 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Lumps in Rub
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »

I make most of my rubs and in the process no matter how I try, end up with clumps. Mostly small and not great in number but annoying; when it comes to dispensing from a shaker.. Now I have the answer.

I use a 7 1/2" diameter stainless steel colander. The magic is it has 1/8" diameter holes in it..When making a new rub batch, it is run thru the colander. Anything that doesn't make it thru is ground down

using a mortar /pestle... I have sifted rubs made pre-colander using this method so now all the rubs exit the shaker easily right to the very end... For you Canadians: This is a Dollarama item. $4.00.

Added note: I don't use a grinder to process what doesn't go thru the colander as I don't want a super fine rub, especially the salt.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:46:50 PM by Canadian John »

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Lumps in Rub
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »

I use one of the Ninja blender things with the motor on top, it has a pitcher that has multiple blades and works great. It also helps to make the rub a bit finer.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »

When I inject rub I grind it in a spice or coffee grinder.  On a couple of occasions I've ground rub before shaking it on the meat.  It looks different and is a bit easier to get consistent coverage but tastes the same.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »

I agree, a blender, coffee mill or food processor will take out the lumps. But as John stated, sometimes you don't want a fine grind for the rub and just want to get the lumps out. A colander is a great idea.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »

I don't use a grinder to process what doesn't go thru the colander as I don't want a super fine rub, especially the salt.

Why's that CJ?  Is fine rub or salt troublesome?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »

I don't use a grinder to process what doesn't go thru the colander as I don't want a super fine rub, especially the salt.
[/quot
Why's that CJ?  Is fine rub or salt troublesome?
Both: Lumps can be  brown sugar or incompletely ground peppercorns. Usually brown sugar is the culprit, now...We used to have an inefficient grinder that did a poor job of grinding peppercorns.

After making a rub, my wife would put everything back into the grinder and grind it to the point the peppercorns were broken down enough. The peppercorns alone just did not get chopped properly.  That

worked fine for the peppercorn breakdown. The rest of the spices were more of a dust. That would be fine for injecting, not for my rubs. The spice grinder we have now does a  whiz- bang job chopping

peppercorns, so that problem has been eliminated... Brown sugar is another story. The lumps should be eliminated prior to mixing. However we find it easier to sift afterwards. That's where the colander

comes into play... A damp piece of terracotta is kept in our brown sugar and rubs containing it..Our brown sugar clumping is almost non existent...There is very little captured in the colander now, just enough

to make our rubs 100% useful and easy to use.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »

The rest of the spices were more of a dust. That would be fine for injecting, not for my rubs.

I'm sorry, John, I didn't follow you.  Why is a finely powdered rub undesirable?
Paul

Canadian John

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:35:13 PM »

The rest of the spices were more of a dust. That would be fine for injecting, not for my rubs.

I'm sorry, John, I didn't follow you.  Why is a finely powdered rub undesirable?
I just don't like it. Especially the salt and pepper. I prefer small pieces, kosher salt size.

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 09:12:17 PM »

I use most of my lumpy rubs for injection. make little bags with cheesecloth and boil. Still gets the flavor and won't clog the injector.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »

I use most of my lumpy rubs for injection. make little bags with cheesecloth and boil. Still gets the flavor and won't clog the injector.

good idea...never thought of that
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

nigilcv

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »

I just use my food processor to grind down the brown sugar, this seems to help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »

You can use granulated brown sugar or tubinado sugar in place of the brown sugar, its dry like regular table sugar and doesn't clump up at all. Neither is as cheap as brown sugar but they work well for this application.

Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

You can use granulated brown sugar or tubinado sugar in place of the brown sugar, its dry like regular table sugar and doesn't clump up at all. Neither is as cheap as brown sugar but they work well for this application.

Been using granulated brown sugar in my rub for 25 years for the reason you mentioned.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

+2 on the Turbinado sugar

Been using granulated brown sugar in my rub for 25 years for the reason you mentioned.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Canadian John

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »

Interesting take on the sugars. Live and learn. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up