Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corn on the Cob - The Best So Far.  (Read 3168 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Corn on the Cob - The Best So Far.
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »

I've done corn may ways from boiling to on the coals. Mostly soaking before the cook with the silk removed and husks repositioned..I found soaking didn't do much for the corn..It was always good, that is if the corn was fresh.  I decided to  go lazy man style: Fresh corn from the market, place the ears as-is into the pit (indirect),425º for 22 minutes, remove, cut the shank off, stand the ear on the cut end and peal back husks and silk. First, the husks and silk came off so easily due to being wet. Second and most important, the kernels were so moist and tasty it was hard to believe..I attribute the results to the natural moisture left undisturbed in the ears.

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
Re: Corn on the Cob - The Best So Far.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »

I've been throwing the whole corn, husks and all, in the microwave for a few minutes. But if you have the pit on anyway, your method probably gives better flavor.
Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »

I've been throwing the whole corn, husks and all, in the microwave for a few minutes. But if you have the pit on anyway, your method probably gives better flavor.

This is what we do.  There is a farm not to far from us where we can get fresh corn and we eat a lot of corn.  Just make sure you have some gloves that can take some heat.  We can get 13 ears for $4.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »

2.5-3.0 minutes in the microwave in the husk - just had some fresh sweet corn like that yesterday
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

Styrofoam cooler...dozen ears of shucked corn...enough boiling water to cover the corn. Put lid on cooler and wait 10 minutes, then eat. Corn will be tasty and hot something like 8 hours. Tried it on the 4th for fun and the entire family loved it. Even had a single ear sitting in the cooler the next morning that was still warm enough to eat.

Its not using the smoker or grill but was good corn just the same.
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »

Styrofoam cooler...dozen ears of shucked corn...enough boiling water to cover the corn. Put lid on cooler and wait 10 minutes, then eat. Corn will be tasty and hot something like 8 hours. Tried it on the 4th for fun and the entire family loved it. Even had a single ear sitting in the cooler the next morning that was still warm enough to eat.

That is some different!  Live and learn.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »

That is some different!  Live and learn.

Yep, my brother has done that at some catering events that he has done when they did not want it slow roasted on the smoker.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Yellow-03

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »

Here's a method I like:

Remove husks and silk from the ears.  Lightly rub ears with olive oil, then lightly sprinkle with your favorite rub.  I've been using Pork Barrel BBQ Rub (I think I bought it as Sam's Club).  Put it directly on the grill grates while you make a steak or burger, rolling on the grates every few minutes.  When the meat is done the corn will be done as well.

So good I forget to put butter on it ;)
Cookshack PG-500 (Sep 2018 - Present)
Louisiana Grills LG800E (May 2018 - Sep 2018)
Cookshack FEC-100 (2009 - Present)
Traeger Lil' Tex (2006 - Oct 2018 - gave to son)

AnyExcuse2Q

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:34:51 PM »

Sorry for posting on an old topic.

Wife actually had the gall to complain that she doesn't like grill marks on corn on the cob today!  ???

Remembered this topic, tried Canadian John's method from the top of this thread--roast in husk on the grill. Amazing, came out great!  :lick:

Thanks!!!
Traeger Pro 34

Canadian John

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »

Sorry for posting on an old topic.

Wife actually had the gall to complain that she doesn't like grill marks on corn on the cob today!  ???

Remembered this topic, tried Canadian John's method from the top of this thread--roast in husk on the grill. Amazing, came out great!  :lick:

Thanks!!!
"Old Topics" are there for everyone to use and enjoy! Glad you tried the method and it was an improvement over your previous cooking methods.. Now for a bonus:

A corn vender advised my daughter to place the ears of corn they weren't going to eat that day in the refrigerator as they would keep better that way....I did notice that fresh, same day picked corn wouldn't be as good the next day or two if it was left unrefrigerated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:39:15 PM by Canadian John »

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »

Reminds me of this ol' boy I worked with years, oh so many years ago.  He grew his own corn and he said when he would harvest it, he had a pan of water on the stove boiling, and he would pluck the ear, start running and shucking and if he stumbled and fell down, he would throw it away and go back for another try. :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »

I remember the one MASH episode where Col Potter when he got home was going to run an extension cord to the field, get a hot plate for the water pan.  Then shuck the corn while still on the stalk and bend it into the pot!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »

I remember the one MASH episode where Col Potter when he got home was going to run an extension cord to the field, get a hot plate for the water pan.  Then shuck the corn while still on the stalk and bend it into the pot!

Holy cow, I thought I had seen every episode of that but, I don't recall that one.  Course the ol' memory isn't what it used to be and even then, it wasn't something to write home about.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »

2.5-3.0 minutes in the microwave in the husk - just had some fresh sweet corn like that yesterday

Ohh yea, easy and quick!  It's 6 minutes for two in the 'wave, cut the fat end off, shake over the sink while holding the silk, a no silk piece falls out ready to eat!
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up