Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Sep 2017
  • I was reading a recipe for a Spanish potato salad that the headline "advertised" as smoked.  As I read through the article, I realized the only smoked ingredient was the paprika.  That got me to thinking about whether you could ever smoke potatoes -- either whole or in cubes -- and then use in a salad.  It seems to me the smoking might make them develop a skin and they would perhaps not have a good mouth feel when eating.  Or allow any dressing to penetrate.

Has anyone ever smoked potatoes?  If so, how did it turn out?  Ever make a cold potato salad with them?
  • #2 by LowSlowJoe on 06 Sep 2017
  • I used some leftover baked potatoes that had been cooked in the pellet grill. They had, reasonably smokey flavor... I didn't really like the overall flavor of the potato salad. 

Maybe if a special dressing was applied?
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have smoked potatoes before and quite enjoy them.  I usually cut them in small squares and microwave to get them tender and then mix with some olive oil and spices.  Cook for about 30-60 minutes on the smoker.
  • #4 by Queball on 06 Sep 2017
  • Do they turn dark? .... You cube potatoes and don't put them in water they start to turn. Does microwaving them negate that?
    • Queball
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Sep 2017
  • Do they turn dark? .... You cube potatoes and don't put them in water they start to turn. Does microwaving them negate that?

I don't recall having that issue as they are pretty cooked by the time they hit the pit.  I also leave the skin on them too.
Pages:
Actions