Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PG1000 impressions  (Read 2816 times)

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: PG1000 impressions
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »

Now you know why I love my PG500...    I'm with Bentley, in that I never craved a PG1000.   I like the doors on the PG500, not so keen on a door that opens up like the PG1000.   Now don't get me wrong, if I stumbled upon a PG1000 at a great price, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, especially if I didn't already have my PG500.

To me, the most interesting aspect of the PG1000, is the way the pellets feed upward from the pellet hopper.   It may not be a feature that makes your food better, but I think its cool  how they put that hopper bellow the direct cooking grate level.   Makes for aesthetically pleasing grill for sure.   

Anyway, I think if more people actually were able to see a Fast Eddy PG in action, they'd sell a lot more of them. it's kind of a shame there aren't more dealers around , where people could actually at least look at them.   I was very impressed with my PG500, from the moment I saw it.  Up until seeing it, I just wasn't totally sure I made the right choice.... of course after cooking on mine a few times, I had KNEW I had made the right choice.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »

I should have also mentioned...   That part of the indirect truly being indirect...     It's amazing , that you can cook at temperatures as high as 600F, and never really have to worry about a grease fire on that indirect side...  For things like chicken, or anything greasy that begs to be cooked at high temperatures, this is worth the price of admission.   

I'll basically never really cook anything greasy above 335F on a normal pellet grill, for fear of grease fires... I've had one a time or two, and it can ruin a otherwise good cook. With a Fast Eddy, crank it up and cook that stuff at high temperature..
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »

I do like the look of the PG500, and that was originally what I wanted to get.  However, now that I have the PG1000, the insulation makes all the difference.  It's like having a Jim Bowie sized grill that burns pellets like a Davy Crockett.  One of the main reasons for keeping my DC around was the low burn rate it had.  Doing two pork shoulders on the JB will plow through 30# of pellets, maybe more.  With this I won't be burning anywhere near that many...and it cooks amazing!

Yep, the indirect side is amazing.  Some of the best chicken thighs in recent memory.  Wife really enjoyed the crispy skin for a change.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Osborn Cox

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »

I do like the look of the PG500, and that was originally what I wanted to get.  However, now that I have the PG1000, the insulation makes all the difference.  It's like having a Jim Bowie sized grill that burns pellets like a Davy Crockett.  One of the main reasons for keeping my DC around was the low burn rate it had.  Doing two pork shoulders on the JB will plow through 30# of pellets, maybe more.  With this I won't be burning anywhere near that many...and it cooks amazing!

Yep, the indirect side is amazing.  Some of the best chicken thighs in recent memory.  Wife really enjoyed the crispy skin for a change.

I find the insulation to be a double edged sword, it does greatly reduce pellet consumption, but on hot summer days I find it difficult to impossible to smoke fish, etc that require temps of <200.    Likewise, upon start up if you have a temperature overshoot it takes a long time to bleed off the heat to drop to the set temp. 
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

DE

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »

Happy to read a PF member got that pit. If you only knew how I fought myself from buying that myself, being here in DFW made it tough to resist.

Mine is a 2011 unit still going strong, just no warming drawer. Good buy!
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 11:27:44 PM »

Happy to read a PF member got that pit. If you only knew how I fought myself from buying that myself, being here in DFW made it tough to resist.

Mine is a 2011 unit still going strong, just no warming drawer. Good buy!

Rest assured it's getting some good use!!
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

dieselr88

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »

I’ve had mine 5 years with no problems, or regrets. In the summer the insulation can be pain, especially when the sun is beating down on it - takes a long time to settle in. I love the ease of cleaning the fire pot - unlike my GMG DB where you have to pull the grates, heat tray and deflector to get to the fire pot, and end up with your hands full of grease. Love the direct grill, especially during the week when time doesn’t allow for longer cook times.

MoonBeam

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »

I use my PG-1000 year round.
The insulation REALLY helps in the winter.
Lynx Gasser -> CS 570 -> FEC 100 -> PG1000-> Supper Happy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up