Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bet you guys dont get this question much. Shooting for less smoke flavor.  (Read 2623 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.

To me, his containers being used to demonstrate the attachment of smoke to the vessel looked more like they were being covered in ash.  I can see ash sticking to water, especially from a stick burner. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry

I guess if you believe that a protein is the same as a cotton swab or a cold can...And yes, I do believe that meat stops taking on smoke taste at a certain point.

So my Pork Belly that has been dried for 3 days wont take on Smoke, it just bounces off?  OK...I will respectfully disagree with Dr. Blonder and amazin ribs!

If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:58:01 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Berniep

• Knows what a Pellet Is.

Thanks everyone for the good info! Even if some of it is at odd with others lol.
Looks like I will have to experiment... A LOT!  Can't wait to get started.   My grill is due to be on the dock tomorrow.  Not sure how long it will take them to call me.   I know a guy who works for that trucking company and he said they are pretty current right no so Hopefully they get to me soon. I usually work really late so I might be out there in the dark trying to put it together.
Rec Tec 700

Kelvininin

So you haven't cooked on the RT yet.  Try it first, full smoke and go from there.   I pretty much use hickory or mesquite exclusively and don't have an issue. 

If its too smoky after the first one, spend less time in the smoker and finish in your oven.  Or wrap the meat and finish on the smoker.

I have over smoked somethingd like cheese and meatballs.  The cheese was so smoky the dog wouldn't even touch it.     

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

So you haven't cooked on the RT yet.  Try it first, full smoke and go from there.   I pretty much use hickory or mesquite exclusively and don't have an issue. 

If its too smoky after the first one, spend less time in the smoker and finish in your oven.  Or wrap the meat and finish on the smoker.

I have over smoked somethingd like cheese and meatballs.  The cheese was so smoky the dog wouldn't even touch it.     

Do you vac seal the cheese, put in the fridge, and eat about 4 weeks later?  Or, did you try eating it right off the smoker?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kelvininin

Do you vac seal the cheese, put in the fridge, and eat about 4 weeks later?  Or, did you try eating it right off the smoker?

Right off the smoker... You have to let it age?   How's got time for that?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

Right off the smoker... You have to let it age?   How's got time for that?

Yes, it tastes like an ashtray right off the smoker.  Vac seal and let sit in fridge for at least 4 weeks.  It will taste much different than what you experienced.  Patience is a virtue young man.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kelvininin

Huh...  I guess I didn't research it enough.  I would have let it rest for a month if I had.  I'll have to try it again. 

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA

Yes, listen to the old Pelletfan gurus, they as a general rule know what they are talking about.   :bbq:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.

Huh...  I guess I didn't research it enough.  I would have let it rest for a month if I had.  I'll have to try it again.

It really depends on your setup. If you separate the smoke generator (tube, tray, whatever) from the smoke box using a long duct, you eliminate much of the acrid smoke and the cheese does not need to be aged before you consume.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up