Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Berniep on 03 Aug 2018
  • Ok so after a lot of reading and watching videos I decided to order a RT700.  I am very excited to get it, should be here next week.

The thing is my wife doesn't like a lot of heavy smoke flavor, says it gives her indigestion.   I know to shoot higher in temp and there will be less smoke.  But what pellets would produce less or a more mild flavor? I'm thinking mesquite is gonna be quite pronounced and probably hickory too.  Seems like apple mght be pretty mild, or a pecan.   I got the 200 pound pellet package which includes both RECTEC ultimate blend and Cookinpellets.com perfect mix. Which one of those would be better do you think?   

I love all the smoke I can get but sooner or later the wife is gonna come to resent the thing if she cant eat any of the food off of it.

Any other tips for keeping the wife happy...er well at least as it applies to the grill lol. 

Thanks
    Bernie
  • #2 by GREG-B on 03 Aug 2018
  • Gasser?
  • #3 by wilpark on 03 Aug 2018
  • for mild smoke oak or alder. apple is nice and so is cherry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #4 by grilltreats on 03 Aug 2018
  • Congrats on the new Rec Tec!  I could be wrong, but I don't believe she will have an issue with the mild smoke flavors that exist from a pellet grill.  If you do the extreme smoke setting for long periods using mesquite, you might get a complaint.  The Rec Tec pellets produce a nice/subtle flavor, but not heavy smoke taste you will be burping up later.   My wife has not had any issues and in fact is very pleased with the results from my 700.  Any cooks above 225° produce very little to no smoke flavor.
  • #5 by wilpark on 03 Aug 2018
  • Congrats on the new Rec Tec!  I could be wrong, but I don't believe she will have an issue with the mild smoke flavors that exist from a pellet grill.  If you do the extreme smoke setting for long periods using mesquite, you might get a complaint.  The Rec Tec pellets produce a nice/subtle flavor, but not heavy smoke taste you will be burping up later.   My wife has not had any issues and in fact is very pleased with the results from my 700.  Any cooks above 225° produce very little to no smoke flavor.
    That's a very good point. It's very difficult to get too much smoke from a pellet grill

• #6 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Aug 2018
  • Cookinpellets.com has financially supported this forum in it's first year of operation, so I am unstinting it my support for them -- plus they produce a superior product!!!
  • #7 by wilpark on 03 Aug 2018
  • Cookinpellets.com has financially supported this forum in it's first year of operation, so I am unstinting it my support for them -- plus they produce a superior product!!!

• #8 by cookingjnj on 03 Aug 2018
  • Bernie, congrats on your new pit.  You are going to love it, and as everyone else mentioned, the smoke flavor is never overwhelming.  Always good.

I like the cookingpellets brand myself as well.  Since there is not a dealer or others close to me to go the bulk by route, ordering is a little more expensive than other brands, but worth it in my opinion.  I still have about 80 lbs of pellets to burn before I order again. 
  • #9 by Canadian John on 03 Aug 2018
  •  To higher cooking temps add: drier and warmer meat (counter rest) also absorbs less smoke.

Mesquite has a bitter taste ( for me).

Pellet smoke is different than wood chunks in charcoal or burning with  all wood. You'll soon find out. Have fun!
  • #10 by Bentley on 03 Aug 2018
  • Have you cooked anything off the unit for her yet? Has she eaten food cooked with hardwood pellets?
  • #11 by bten on 03 Aug 2018
  • don't spritz the meat with anything.  This is done to provide a wet surface for the smoke to cling to.
  • #12 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Aug 2018
  • don't spritz the meat with anything.  This is done to provide a wet surface for the smoke to cling to.

Not sure if I exactly follow this post.  But I add the following:

From the Culinary Institute of America:

TECHNIQUE OF THE QUARTER : THE SMOKING PROCESS
    The smoking process allows cured meats, poultry, game and seafood to be
    subjected to smoke in a controlled environment. The smoke is produced by
    smoldering hardwood chips, vines, herbs, fruit skins, or spices. This smoke
    influences the flavor, aroma, texture, appearance and shelf life of foods. The
    process can be performed at temperatures that range generally from 65°F to 250°F.
    The food merely retains the flavor of the smoke at lower ranges (cold-smoke), while
    the food actually cooks at the higher end of the scale (hot-smoke).

SELECTING FOODS TO BE SMOKED
    Virtually any meat, poultry, game or seafood can be smoked, as can hard cheeses,
    nuts, vegetables, and sausages.

1. Prepare items

2. Cure items (optional)

3. Rinsing
    • Stops the curing process
    • Removes excess saltiness and excess surface fat

4. Dry Foods Well
    • Removes excess surface moisture to form a skin (pellicle)
    • A wet surface will not readily absorb smoke (emphasis added)
    • Removes excess surface fat
    • Forms the Pellicle

5. Smoking Process
    • Smoke is a seasoning - don’t overdo it
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Aug 2018
  • I've seen others on here post about a moisture helping meat to absorb smoke.  I'm not sure I have any recollection of whether this was any better or worse as I have not spritzed since I have owned a pellet grill.

I do feel that a colder piece of meat absorbs more smoke than one that has got up or close to room temp.  It may simply be that it takes longer to get the internal temp to where it is desired to eat, and more time equals more smoke penetration.
  • #14 by Jimsbarbecue on 04 Aug 2018
    add to that don’t rub olive oil etc as it can attract smoke and discolor the meat.
  • #15 by Ross77 on 04 Aug 2018
  • From what I’ve read and experienced, a wet surface attracts more smoke flavor.

amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

Does meat stop taking on smoke?
    There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don't baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.
Pages:
Actions