Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HEXCLAD Cookware  (Read 6455 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: HEXCLAD Cookware
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »

Google and you-tube hexclad and cookcell.  There's a lot of similar widgets out there.

Caveat emptor.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 08:28:12 AM »

I made two simple tests, burgers and grilled cheese.  Both cooked non-stick and browned well.  The pans wiped clean with a paper towel.

That's not much to go on and isn't appreciably different from some of the pans I have, but they're a LOT less delicate.  Marcia can chip almost anything (including our granite counter tops).  HEXCLAD is surviving.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »

Another simple test–eggs over easy.  Excellent results.  And it looked clean after a wipe with a paper towel.

But, again, not a difficult test.  Almost every pan I have will cook an egg well.  Some don't clean-up as easily, tho'.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 10:23:19 PM »

After six months or so of using this set…my perceptions–
  • It’s tough cookware.  It’s perfect for Marcia.  She can bang the pans around and stack them without chipping anything.
  • The perfectly non-stick interior isn’t fazed by scraping with metal utensils.  It’s so non-stick that I sometimes chase items around the pan when trying to pick them up.
  • The pans are lightweight and easy to handle.
  • It heats up quickly but looses heat just as fast.
  • It browns lightweight items well but could be better at browning meat because it doesn’t have the heavy multi-ply base of brands like Made In, All Clad or Saladmaster that retain heat.
  • Consequently, it will cool rapidly when it browns something heavier, like a pan full of something or steak.
They're worth the money but I'm not yet completely satisfied.
Paul

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »

The Hexclad pans are a year old.  I like them but I don’t love them.  I haven’t changed anything from the opinions above.

I have some enameled cast iron pans that I like better, but the enamel chips if you are careless.  Hexclad could probably rattle around in your car trunk and be ready to use after a quick dusting.  They look like the day they came out of the box.

So, buy the Hexclad if you bang frying pans against each other or in the sink.  Buy enameled cast iron if you can treat it sensibly.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 10:46:17 PM »

Kristin has what I believe is a $20 10 inch ceramic saute pan, I like it better then my GraniteRock.  I had no idea the GR was crowned, so you dont have a truly flat surface like you do with the ceramic!  So I know what you mean regarding the ceramic finish!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 01:44:04 PM »

My 12" non-stick ScanPan is 10 years old and still works great. I've bought a few smaller ones as well.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »

My 12" non-stick ScanPan is 10 years old and still works great. I've bought a few smaller ones as well.

Yeah.  We have a stainless ScanPan with the tungsten-ceramic non stick interior.  We rather like it but, like all of our frying pans, it's received rough treatment and has chipped around the lip.
Paul

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »

Bump!

It's been 21 months since I bought these pans.  I was sautéing with one this evening and thought that, perhaps, I should post another update.

I have figured out where they don't work as well as other bands we have.  So I'm better at choosing the right tool.

They are fantastic pans for general cookery.
  • They will withstand the ridiculously bad treatment they get in my household (banging against each other, overheating, scraping and even the dishwasher).  They look as good as the day they were unpacked.
  • They are truly non-stick.  It's hard to slip a spatula under an egg—it'll skid away from you.
  • The contours are perfect for showing off by flipping sautéed items with the push-toss motion.
  • They brown foods well.  (See the comment about thermal density.)
  • They're lightweight and easy to handle.
Although they brown foods well, they don't have the thermal density to brown steak after steak without giving them a moment to recover and replace the heat energy that was used to brown the preceding steaks.  At this time, my favorite pans for that function are the nickel plated Grizzly pans that Kristin tested in this review.

I'm glad I bought them.

EDIT:  Confession:  A wok came with the set.  I've not yet used it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:01:17 PM by pmillen »
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »

I love to cook with Wok's!  Is it non-stick though?  Those I have no use for!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »

I love to cook with Wok's!  Is it non-stick though?  Those I have no use for!

It's the same finish as the frying pans, so I guess that it's super non-stick.  Does a wok need to have some stick-ability so food stays up in the cooler zone?
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »

I had the hand-hammered.  It really was a piece of work.  Not sure what kind of metal, but it did need to be seasoned.  Once that was done, you really could make that food go up the sides.  And it just got more and more seasoned as you cooked, you cleaned it with the bamboo and water and then hit it with heat and put away! The prep work took all the time, you could cook a great meal in 10 minutes!

Hand Hammered Wok  It really was fantastic!  Funny, after all these years I still have the brass strainer and use it on fries and wings!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:47:44 PM by Bentley »

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »

I watched the chef testing the HexClad against his $20 pan and the $200 pan.  First off, he did not comment on whether he seasoned the HexClad as directed. Probably important, since the HexClad video specifically said to do this. In view of pmillen's very trustworthy and extensive testing and use, I would tend to view the chef's report with suspicion. So my conclusion is that these pans are great for those of us (which I am one) who want a good pan, with minimal preparation and care requirements. I think I have rarely seen a pan that was just as good at 21 months as when new, so I am impressed. Thanks for the info.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 02:51:19 PM »

$129 for the 12 inch...should have pulled the trigger right when I was at the site.  Can use the egg beater in it, that is me, melted plastic wont stick to it, that is me, can put cheese right in the pan to make quesadilla or grilled cheese, that would definitely be me!

These pans appear to be also sold under other names as bobitis suggested.  Here's a link to a site where they appear to be the same pan heavily discounted, https://xtoria.com.sg/collections/cookcell.
Paul

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »

$129 for the 12 inch...should have pulled the trigger right when I was at the site.  Can use the egg beater in it, that is me, melted plastic wont stick to it, that is me, can put cheese right in the pan to make quesadilla or grilled cheese, that would definitely be me!

These pans appear to be also sold under other names as bobitis suggested.  Here's a link to a site where they appear to be the same pan heavily discounted, https://xtoria.com.sg/collections/cookcell.

Wonder why bobitis no longer posts here.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up