Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PG500 vs PG100 Stainless Steel quality  (Read 1660 times)

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
PG500 vs PG100 Stainless Steel quality
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »

I am planning to purchase a FEC and am trying to determine which model to go with.  I received this message from Cookshack when I asked them about the kind of stainless steel used in their grills:

"We use two different kinds of stainless in our grills. The PG500 has:
SS, Sheet, 14GA #3, 430       
SS, Sheet, 18GA #3, 430.

The PG1000 includes:
SS Sheet, 201, 20G, 2B       
SS Sheet, 201, 20G, #3."

I am not all that familiar with 201 SS (I had previously been under the impression that the PG1000 was made with 304 SS).  I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on these differences in SS and if either would hold up better than the other.  I appreciate any insights that will make me a more informed buyer!
------------ Memphis Pro 304 Louisiana Grill CS540 Big Steel Keg

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: PG500 vs PG100 Stainless Steel quality
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »

How close to the ocean are you?  I know Larry loved his 1000, great pit, cooked on his a few times...but to me, the 500 was just a better looking pit!  I guess that is just personal preference!

ype 201 is less resistant to corrosion than 300 series. It does have higher yield strength. Some typical end uses include cooking utensils, kitchen equipment, hose clamps, truck trailer structures.

Type 302 resists oxidation, easy fabrication, easy to clean, high strength with low weight. Used for utensils, cookware, and stainless flatware.

Type 304, 304L serves a wide range of applications. It withstands ordinary rusting in architecture, it is resistant to food processing environments, it resists organic chemicals, dyestuffs, and a wide variety of inorganic chemicals

Type 430 has lower alloy content than type 304 and is used for highly polished trim applications in mild atmospheres. Has good formability, ductility, low work hardening, corrosion resistant, oxidation resistant, good thermal conductivity, attractive finish, and excellent for drawing. It is used in nitric acid and food processing. Other common uses include heat exchangers, vaults, tubing, builder’s hardware, kitchen trims and appliance trims.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:31:20 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:50:20 PM »

Thanks for the info and response Bentley! I currently live in the Dallas, TX area so not close to the ocean.  I do have a lot of family in Florida.  I have no plans to move but  Florida would be high on the list if I ever did move. Does feel silly to base my purchase around an off chance that some day in the future I may move near an ocean! I think I am also extra concerned about corrosion because my last pellet grill has rusted after 3 years  :(  It was not stainless steel.
   From my research on-line and from what you posted, it is not clear if 201 would be an advantage for corrosion vs 430.
Thanks again!

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »

InThePit- I like your perspective.  I am leaning towards the PG500.  Seems like an awesome pit and a huge upgrade over my current pit!

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

How close to the ocean are you?  I know Larry loved his 1000, great pit, cooked on his a few times...but to me, the 500 was just a better looking pit!  I guess that is just personal preference!

ype 201 is less resistant to corrosion than 300 series. It does have higher yield strength. Some typical end uses include cooking utensils, kitchen equipment, hose clamps, truck trailer structures.

Type 302 resists oxidation, easy fabrication, easy to clean, high strength with low weight. Used for utensils, cookware, and stainless flatware.

Type 304, 304L serves a wide range of applications. It withstands ordinary rusting in architecture, it is resistant to food processing environments, it resists organic chemicals, dyestuffs, and a wide variety of inorganic chemicals

Type 430 has lower alloy content than type 304 and is used for highly polished trim applications in mild atmospheres. Has good formability, ductility, low work hardening, corrosion resistant, oxidation resistant, good thermal conductivity, attractive finish, and excellent for drawing. It is used in nitric acid and food processing. Other common uses include heat exchangers, vaults, tubing, builder’s hardware, kitchen trims and appliance trims.

Not to be combative, but I have many customers in 'salt water' industries (fishing, ferries, coast guard, etc.). The unanimous conclusion is... It's personal choice/experience. Some swear by 316L, and others poo poo it in favor of 304L. I've no idea why, because the metallurgical content for both is an ASTM/ASME requirement. I can only assume it has to do with the function It's used for.

Because a pellet smoker is pretty much benign, Id go for the least expensive version.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »

I think unless I was keeping it on my boat I would focus on the pit,  not the SS
2011 SS Memphis Pro

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »

Thanks for the insights everyone!  I just placed an order for a PG-500!  Now that hard part begins...the waiting.

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »

Some more info from Cookshack on why the use the stainless steels they use:

“Thank you for the inquiry!

Type 430 (PG500) is more resistant to corrosion so it doesn't discolor as quickly, is not affected as much when highly acidic foods sits on/in it for long periods of time or when in areas with high salt content (mostly located along the coasts). We use this type of stainless for the PG500 primarily because that unit is not insulated and the drastic temperature ranges would cause damage in most other stainless steels.

Type 201 (PG1000) is corrosion resistant but does not protect as well as 430, however, type 201 is generally harder and stronger in terms of standard durability. 

The grills were never 304, however, our Commercial Charbroilers are and they are made similar.

We do not have a coupon code right now. A little insider's tip though, if you call and talk to Karen, she is offering 10% off residential units right now in hopes to avoid a huge rush of orders at the last minute for the holidays.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to get answers for you!”
Pages: [1]   Go Up