Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dreams of Building a Custom Smoker  (Read 691 times)

pberry3452

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Dreams of Building a Custom Smoker
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »

I've been thinking about building a permanent custom smoker in my back yard with dual fire pot/auger assemblies and a 60" x 24" cooking surface area, big enough to roast a good sized pig. I'm even considering adding in a rotisserie strong enough to hold a lamb or pig and also have the option to use it with up to six baskets for smaller items. I'll probably use two of the new Rec Tec controllers to allow options in cooking such as heating only one side if desired or run the other side on super smoke setting.

Besides telling me that I'm out of my mind and that I don't need anything that big unless I'm opening a BBQ joint in my back yard, does anyone have any recommendations on best places to buy parts or must have features to consider in the design?

Some additional thoughts on features that I might add:

- Split drip trays/pots with one on each side so I can use standard replacement grill parts
- High temperature lights inside the pit for easy visibility when cooking after dark
- Easy clean-out features such as maybe a sliding bottom for the fire pots
- Large Hoppers to hold at least 30-40 lbs of pellets on each side

I always say, if you are going to dream, dream big!

This was placed in the right area, but I moved because I thought more people would see.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:37:18 AM by Kristin Meredith »

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: Dreams of Building a Custom Smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »

Google "grizzly Grillz" Oregon local Traeger clones. But they sell parts. Cheaper hopper assemblies than the pellet pro.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

You're not crazy at all.  I love this idea and I've also been plotting my custom built pig cooker for years.  It's taken many shapes and forms over time but I keep plotting.  But now that I've been on this pellet grilling detour I've put the pig cooker on indefinite hold.  I want to live vicariously through you on this one so I'll be cheering you on.  And hopefully learning from others who can chime in with ideas, or even a little expertise.
Oh yeah, and I love the rotisserie idea.  One of the coolest things I've seen in the grilling world was a whole lamb on a rotisserie in the parking lot of a football game tailgating party.   

Regarding the specs you mentioned: I would consider lengthening the depth from 24" to 30" just to be sure things are comfortable if you cook a large pig. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:47:25 AM by Ralphie »
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

Describe some of your ideas for the overall structure.  Do you have welding or masonry skills? 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

dk117

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

I saw this monster stick burner (with rotisserie) back in June at a local bewpub 1st anniversary party.  Sadly this was the evening before the pork was ready, so I missed out on tasting.

DK

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

That is chicken wire...I could not figure what animal that was that big with scales...Whew!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

litzerski

• Using less gas.
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »

Check out Smoke Daddy Inc. 

https://smokedaddyinc.com

I'm planning to take my propane vertical smoker and convert to pellet with their auger/hopper assembly.  Sounds like they would work well for you as well

I have no affiliation with them, just have purchased a couple of smoke stacks from them in the past and have been quite happy with how quickly they shipped. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Blaz'n Grid Iron
Kamado Joe Big Joe II
Vertical Propane Smoker

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »

If I am not mistaken the grand champions in the Invitational in the 2010 Royal used metal garbage cans to cook in so you should be able to figure something out.  Good luck.  Please keep us posted on your progress.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

pberry3452

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »

All - Thanks for the recommendations!

Ralphie - I was going back and forth on the grill depth but I think I agree with increasing it to 30".  The design idea is to build it into the planter between the two windows on the left and behind where the Traeger is now.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I plan to construct the pit itself out of stainless steel as a permanently mounted, free standing structure and then wrap it in stone and brick to match the fireplace. I wouldn't extend the chimney that high so I won't need to penetrate the patio ceiling. I'll probably use a set of double iron doors similar to below which looks like I may need to have them custom made to fit the size opening necessary.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I don't have an actual design sketched out yet but I have plenty of the stone and brick remaining to complete this project. It will end up looking more like an old world outdoor oven but with a modern pellet grill inside.

Unfortunately my welding and masonry skills are rudimentary at best but I've done both and am not afraid of a challenge.

One additional must have is a sliding grill rack for easy access...

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

there is a guy on the Pit Boss FB page that has a cooker from American BBQ Systems, they make a SS pellet hopper assembly. Since you are wanting to make it from SS maybe you could contact them and see if they sell them separate. He had the Pit Boss model. Interesting looing cookers.

http://www.americanbarbecuesystems.com/ABS-products.html

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »

I’d check the “ whole hog” design.  Burn pot on each end .  Divider to use each side independently at different temps. 
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »

One of the best monsters cookers I remember seeing was the Woodmaster. It could do it all!

ZCZ

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:51 AM »

Looking at your setting a built-in Memphis Elite would look good.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up