Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by rdsbucks on 10 Aug 2018
  • Guys would love your thoughts. Other than the Camp Chef with the side mounted searing station, what pellet pooper under $1000 does the best job grilling and why? We will just assume all their smoking ability is similar. Who grills the best?
  • #2 by Bentley on 10 Aug 2018
  • I am in the camp that any unit that will hit a true 500° or more at the grate is a good searing unit.  Having said that....I think the Q-450 is probably at the top of the list at sub $1000.  Not sure how much the Englander cost?  If it is still under $1000, Q-450 is second.
  • #3 by Yellow-03 on 10 Aug 2018
  • I recently acquired a Louisiana Grills LG800-Elite from Costco when it was $499.  I can say it has no issues searing in its flame zone.  The controller goes to 600F, and it most certainly can reach that while consuming many pellets in the process.  At 500F+, you have flames coming through the main level grate.

My experience thus far is that if set up for optimal grilling, the controller programming is such that maintaining stable low temps below 240 is difficult.  If set up to have stable low temps, then reaching higher temps quickly, or recovery from opening the door and such, will be hampered; it does it successfully albeit slowly.  There's probably a happy medium to be found, but I've not yet found it myself.

The programming from the factory did not match anything LG has published or suggested publicly for people to use, but that programming made it a grilling machine.  It overshot all temperatures, would not maintain low temperatures, but it was crazy fast to get hot and recover from opening the door.  I'm currently running one of their suggested programming modifications, which helps in the low temps, but as stated above, hampers the speed to change from low to high temps, or recovery when opening the door.  I intend to keep tuning it to meet my preferences, and I feel confident this can be done, but they are not up front about what each parameter in the programming actually does.
  • #4 by Mikro on 10 Aug 2018
  • I am in the camp that any unit that will hit a true 500° or more at the grate is a good searing unit.  Having said that....I think the Q-450 is probably at the top of the list at sub $1000.  >snip<
    I grill on my Q450 most of the time. I rarely use the sear station but it is nice to have if I want to serious char grilled look. I usually can get a very nice grill pattern and char with just the regular grates and running it up to flame settings with the lid open.
    just my 0.02cents worth. :)
    mk
  • #5 by rdsbucks on 10 Aug 2018
  • Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. How about mass? Can anyone do 10 burgers or 5 steaks at once?
  • #6 by silverbullet on 11 Aug 2018
  • Look at the Louisiana Lineup
  • #7 by Bentley on 11 Aug 2018
  • My Memphis Pro and Daniel Boone are about 450 sq in give or take, most sub $1000 are in that range of grill area.  I can cook 12 burgers or 8 steaks comfortably on either!  Maybe not 8, two pound Porterhouse, but eight 16oz Rib Eye, yes.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. How about mass? Can anyone do 10 burgers or 5 steaks at once?
  • #8 by rdsbucks on 11 Aug 2018
  • Thanks Bentley!
  • #9 by Mikro on 13 Aug 2018
  • Grilling on my Q450, here is tonights fare, chicken thighs grilled / smoked on my Q450. Must say they were excellent. :) No using the sear section just the pit as a whole, adjusting temps as needed. temps ranged from 225 to start to 450 at the end. time about 1 hour. Stubbs original BBQ sauce. 100% hickory pellets. Oh , and the leftovers are even better when cold. LMAO!!!!
    mk

• #10 by Mikro on 14 Aug 2018
  • Tasty looking chicken!
    >snip<
    Thanks! :)
Pages:
Actions