Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pz on 06 Sep 2017
  • Costco had a sale on prime brisket a while ago ($2.39/lb) and I purchased three because the price was so good. Into the freezer they went, and some time ago I did this cook on the Traeger modified with a Pellet Pro PID.

I'm still not that good at cooking brisket so I need the practice. Along the way I sometimes accidentally make some really good brisket, but mostly just marginal - it sure is fun practicing. Probably the best skill I have developed so far is how to salvage brisket too dry  ;D

Click the pics to toggle full/normal size

I like to separate the point from the flat
    to better help prevent the flat from becoming
    too dry. Here the point and flat are separrated,
    rubbed, and wrapped for the night.
       Into the Traeger they go at 225 degrees.
    I like a soft bark and am using a tube smoker
    plus a pan of water.

Well into the cook, it is progressing nicely   The flat turned out better than I have ever
    done, partly because the PID helps control the
    temperature far better than the stock Traeger
    controller

I'm not sure what to call these because
    they are not exactly "burnt ends", but my
    wife likes me to cube up part of the flat
    and cook them in the beef fat rendered
    from the trimmings. They are crisp
    and savory.
       The final plate.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Sep 2017
  • In addition to the beautiful food, you do some good computer work, PZ.  Can you start a thread on how you get your text and photos aligned so nice and neat?
  • #3 by pz on 06 Sep 2017
  • Thanks Bar-B-Lew  ;)

I'd be glad to post the technique which involves the use of tables. It is not the simplest way to get things posted but once you get the hang of it, the posts go fairly well. I use a small template that I keep in a notepad document, then just cut and paste into a post. I'll post something in the General board.
  • #4 by riverrat49 on 06 Sep 2017
  • Nice looking Brisket  :beer:
  • #5 by Quadman750 on 06 Sep 2017
  • Beautiful brisket & burnt ends.
  • #6 by pmillen on 06 Sep 2017
  • Excellent food, and I agree, excellent presentation.

PelletFan's look and feel is a big notch above the other sites I frequent.  You're a major contributor to that.
  • #7 by pz on 06 Sep 2017
  • Thanks gents - you're way too kind  ;)

I think it is the collection of fine folks that have been drawn by the most excellent informative posts and subsequent conversations - definitely encourages one to post  :clap:
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Sep 2017
  • Excellent food, and I agree, excellent presentation.

PelletFan's look and feel is a big notch above the other sites I frequent.  You're a major contributor to that.

Agree, but also have to add you, Queball, FMT and a few others I am blanking on to that list.  The quality of recipes, cooking, presentations and tutorials going on in these threads is just outstanding!  I feel just like a proud parent, kind of basking in reflected glory!!!! ;D
Pages:
Actions