Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe Request  (Read 245 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe Request
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »

I am new to sourdough and seek a recipe.  I have starter and have no problems with it, so the recipe may start with a fully fed, 100% hydration starter that was fed ~ 7 hours prior.  Any and all help

welcomed.

KeithG

• Using less gas.
Re: Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe Request
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »

I can’t help with a real recipe, but I too keep a 100% hydration sourdough starter on hand and can relay my approach.

First, I am guessing you have made pizza from a yeasted dough and know what that feels like.  I am also guessing you have a favorite type of pizza crust be it thin and crispy or thick and chewy. 

For thin and crispy, I would add to 1 Cup of refreshed starter 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt and enough Caputo 00 flour to make a soft dough.  For a thicker chewier crust I would replace the 00 flour with enough bread flour to make a soft dough.  I would let the dough rise on the counter for a couple of hours and then put in the fridge overnight to ferment.  When ready to make a pizza I would pull from the fridge a couple of hours before forming and the proceed as usual. 

I’ve not made pizza crust from sourdough because I like a very yeasty pizza crust.  I do regularly make sourdough bread and rolls and have made sourdough pancakes and waffles (with varying success).

For what it is worth, King Arthur has a sourdough pizza recipe that uses unfed/discard starter and adds yeast if you are more comfortable with a real recipe.  Because flours vary so much in moisture content and gluten, I typically use a recipe as a guide and work to get the right feel to the dough. The way I look at it, sourdough starter is a renewable resource for the cost of a cup of flour.  And failed efforts in dough making are learning experiences ath the cost of some flour and as a bonus they are almost always edible.

Wish you the best in your sourdough pizza making.
RecTec RT-680, WSM 18, MES30, Weber Genesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up