Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by rdsbucks on 16 Aug 2018
  • I will have a new PG500 arriving 8/23!!! I am thrilled!
  • #2 by triplebq on 16 Aug 2018
  • Congrats , the PG500 is a killer unit.
  • #3 by pmillen on 16 Aug 2018
  • Good for you!

Did you buy the front shelf?

Is the grate in zone 1 still cast iron?

Now that the wheel-set has changed from my 2013 unit, how easy is it to roll around?

The front will stain from smoke leakage.  I recently cleaned mine rather thoroughly and treated it with TopCoat F-11, an automobile paint treatment.  It makes it much easier to wipe clean.  If I bought a new stainless steel pit I'd give it two or three coats of F-11 before I fired it up for the first time.

I also wouldn't bother seasoning it.  My seasoning just builds up until it flakes off.  Seasoning doesn't stick to SS as well as it does to mild steel.  Just do a burn-in to remove manufacturing residue and start cooking.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 16 Aug 2018

•  Enjoy that PG500!  :D
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Aug 2018
  • Good for you!

Did you buy the front shelf?

Is the grate in zone 1 still cast iron?

Now that the wheel-set has changed from my 2013 unit, how easy is it to roll around?

The front will stain from smoke leakage.  I recently cleaned mine rather thoroughly and treated it with TopCoat F-11, an automobile paint treatment.  It makes it much easier to wipe clean.  If I bought a new stainless steel pit I'd give it two or three coats of F-11 before I fired it up for the first time.

I also wouldn't bother seasoning it.  My seasoning just builds up until it flakes off.  Seasoning doesn't stick to SS as well as it does to mild steel.  Just do a burn-in to remove manufacturing residue and start cooking.

Is F-11 what they use on DeLorean's ;D
  • #6 by pmillen on 16 Aug 2018
  • Is F-11 what they use on DeLorean's ;D

:rotf:
    No, DeLoreans get ceramic coatings, like Gyeon Pure.  It's so hard when cured that a ripple has to be ground down.  When done right it looks wet forever.
  • #7 by rdsbucks on 16 Aug 2018
  • Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I did not order the front shelf as my wife ordered it as a surprise for my BD. But I will look into getting it. My first and only pellet smoker was a little Traeger Tailgater. It will be great to step up to something that is such a fine appliance.
  • #8 by rdsbucks on 23 Aug 2018
  • All I can say is wow! What a great smoker!
  • #9 by TravlinMan on 23 Aug 2018
  • All I can say is wow! What a great smoker!

Congratulations... :cool:

Let us know how you are enjoying your new smoker/grill, preferably with pictures attached.. :clap:

....... :bbq:
  • #10 by Jstocks on 24 Aug 2018
  • I'm getting close to making this purchase also.
  • #11 by Bentley on 24 Aug 2018
  • You will enjoy it!
  • #12 by The Big E on 24 Aug 2018
  • We are like twins.  Got mine yesterday too.
  • #13 by Jstocks on 27 Aug 2018
  • Is it accepted practice to ask whether you guys found the best deal direct from cookshack, or did you go with a supplier?
  • #14 by SmokinHandyman on 27 Aug 2018
  • My cousin has a PG500.
    Very nice pit.
  • #15 by rdsbucks on 27 Aug 2018
  • Is it accepted practice to ask whether you guys found the best deal direct from cookshack, or did you go with a supplier?

BBQ Guys for me.
Pages:
Actions