Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Vincent on 01 Sep 2018
  • BBQ Island for me. Good guys. My PG500 should be arriving next week.
  • #17 by demilleroh on 25 Sep 2018
  • Is it accepted practice to ask whether you guys found the best deal direct from cookshack, or did you go with a supplier?

When I priced from Cookshack in May they had a 10% off deal - BUT they wanted $300 to ship via FedX.  So the total cost with discount and shipping was still more than BBQ Guys.  All BBQ Guys did was have Cookshack drop-ship direct to me anyway.  But then BBQ Guys also gave me a 3% purchase credit - so I felt I had a much better deal.
  • #18 by Vincent on 26 Sep 2018
  • Good choice. I had a similar experience. Cook Shack will not price match with their dealers and will stick you with the shipping. Better deal with the dealer for sure.
  • #19 by LowSlowJoe on 03 Oct 2018
  • IMHO, it's a good thing that Cookshack is doing... if they undercut their dealers, they would be doing a disservice to the dealers.

It is kinda funny that you can buy one from a dealer, it ships directly from Cookshack to your house... but anyway, I'm glad they keep their dealers  selling at a little better price...
  • #20 by rdsbucks on 19 Nov 2018
  • Well guys after 3 months I can safely say that the PG 500 is one of the best purchases I have made. I truly love it!
  • #21 by sleebus.jones on 19 Nov 2018
  • Well guys after 3 months I can safely say that the PG 500 is one of the best purchases I have made. I truly love it!

They are amazing, aren't they?  I've been super happy with how mine has performed.  Really the best pellet cooker I've ever owned.
  • #22 by Yellow-03 on 19 Nov 2018
  • I can say I'm really liking mine as well.  I very much like how quickly it goes from smoking to grilling temps, with no need to open flame zones, etc.  You gotta watch things on the charbroiler side, though, as things can easily get away from you there if your focus goes elsewhere for a few minutes.
  • #23 by sleebus.jones on 19 Nov 2018
  • Yeah, that charbroiler side is no joke.  First steaks were done at 600°; not gonna do that again!
  • #24 by Bentley on 19 Nov 2018
  • 600° on the controller?  If so, yeah, when I did the Performance Test at Pelletheads for the PG500, $JMoney asked that I grill some steaks at that setting.  My IR Gun pegged at 932°, and I know that Zone 1 was well over 1000°.  It was very difficult to work with, 400° would be the Max for me!

First steaks were done at 600°; not gonna do that again!
  • #25 by sleebus.jones on 19 Nov 2018
  • Yep, I now do my steaks at 400° and they come out great.  Really good quality even heat at that temp.  I agree with the 1000° temps, it was very, very, VERY hot and hard to work with for a steak.  I killed 2 steaks in like 3 minutes.  Now if there was something I'd want to sear for 30 seconds (like tuna), that would be the ticket.
  • #26 by LowSlowJoe on 04 Dec 2018
  • Wife ordered it for your birthday? 

Wow, what a great wife.

Yeah, if you get the grill up to 600F internal, based on the thermocouple reading that's between zone 3 and zone 4, your direct grilling area zone 1 will be well over 1000F.    My IR Gun goes to 1040F, and I've seen it unable to read because it was hotter then the gun could read...     

Generally any more, I rarely use my PG500 above about 400F.   I think at 400F, your direct grill side is probably around 700F, which is plenty hot enough.
Pages:
Actions