Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grill grates and temps  (Read 979 times)

rfdong

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Grill grates and temps
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »

So having a hot July and August in N Calif.  My Rec Tec temps can’t get below 245.  I adjusted the min feed rate today to see but was also thinking I read somewhere that grill grates due to their material will increase the overall temps? I usually keep them in the RT 680 but just wondering?  Also, didn’t seem like last year I had temp issues like the last month or so...everything seems ok, smoke stack is clean etc.  any thoughts?

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
Re: Grill grates and temps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:13:49 PM »

Your basic problem is you're trying to do this in the western half of North America and it's burning up as we speak.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

rfdong

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »

Yep, but i Figured since the grill isn’t in the sun it would be ok.  I adjusted the min feed and took the grates out and it’s pretty close now. 

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:15:51 AM »

I can't attest to that being the problem, but it could restrict airflow through out the pit. That being said, many factors can come into play, have you contacted Rectec?

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

I always remove the GG's unless I am "grilling".  Easy to store.  I do low temp cooks all the time in 90-95* weather here in Oklahoma. No trouble with any temps since I reprogrammed (see another string in Blaz'n section). I think that RecTec has a similar controller so you might ask them if you calibrate set temp with actual temp at grate level.  :2cents:

rfdong

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »

So another question(s).  Does adjusting the min feed rate affect higher temp or cold weather function?  Or does the controller just adjust the rate upwards automatically?  I ask since I’m the Rec Tec video they mention increasing min feed rate for old or different brand pellets which might not burn as hot but I would have thought the unit would auto increase to compensate by itself. 

Thought you all might know, before I call RT.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »

I believe the minimum feed rate only applies to the lowest temp setting.

During the summer I turn my feed rate down in order to maintain 180 on Lo. At the factory setting I can’t get below 250 when it’s hot and in direct sunlight.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »

So having a hot July and August in N Calif.  My Rec Tec temps can’t get below 245.  I adjusted the min feed rate today to see but was also thinking I read somewhere that grill grates due to their material will increase the overall temps? I usually keep them in the RT 680 but just wondering?  Also, didn’t seem like last year I had temp issues like the last month or so...everything seems ok, smoke stack is clean etc.  any thoughts?
GrillGrates were not meant to be used in low temp cooks.  Their main claim to fame is that they help to get temps up to searing level for chops and steaks, burgers etc.  Also, they vaporize the drippings that don't go through their drain holes. You should get better low temps without them.  I think that GG's were developed because of complaints from owners of the original pellet smokers (i.e. Traeger, etc) that they could not get temps high enough to sear steaks, chops and burgers. Anyhow, I just take them out for low slow or baking.  Just wrap em in newspaper, when not in use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up