Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by rdsbucks on 20 Aug 2018
  • So I will be firing up my new PG 500 this Thursday night and I was wondering what pellets you guys like for yours? I’m guessing you have a couple of favorites based on whatever it is you were cooking. Thanks in advance for the responses guys.
  • #2 by pmillen on 20 Aug 2018
  • I'm apparently at the low end of the taste ability scale.  I can smell the difference in wood types but I can't taste the difference when the meat is served.  To me, smoke tastes like smoke.

But there are people who have a much more developed sense of taste.  Look up synesthesia; a neurological condition where stimulating one sense (e.g., taste) produces a discrete reaction in a different sense (e.g., sight).  So some people can see flavor.  To them, different beers look different.  They're at the apex of the taste curve.  The rest of us are somewhere down it.  I'm probably near the bottom.

Having written that, I'll vote for hickory or pecan (almost the same wood).  I like the smell.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 20 Aug 2018

•  Well done pmimmen. My sentiments right on...As for the original question. When the time comes, just try different pellets noting ALL the differences... The question is similar to asking someone what food is

best. We all have our favourites..There is going a lot going on with your new pit (PG 500), so why add to the confusion by throwing pellets into the mix?  Just my thoughts. 
  • #4 by rdsbucks on 20 Aug 2018
  • Thanks guys. How about this, what is the best pellet for the money in your opinion?
  • #5 by triplebq on 20 Aug 2018
  • Thanks guys. How about this, what is the best pellet for the money in your opinion?

I suggest reaching out to Lumberjack and seeing if you can get in on a group buy. Great pellets and at group buy prices they are hard to beat.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 20 Aug 2018
    If you were in Canada, that would be a no brainer.
  • #7 by RSNovi on 20 Aug 2018
  • 100% hickory from Cookinpellets or Lumber Jack are my favorite to date.  It is imperative to do some networking and see if you can do a group buy.
  • #8 by triplebq on 20 Aug 2018
  • Go to bbqpelletsonline and under the get quote tab you can register for a group buy. They will pair you up with others in the area for a group buy.
  • #9 by LowSlowJoe on 03 Oct 2018
  • 70% of the time I use 100% Hickory.    15% of the time I use 100% Mesquite...    the other 15% of the time, it's usually whatever is in the hopper. :)

Lumberjack Charblend Hickory are worth a try, if for no other reason then how hot they burn.  If you want super hot, fast...  Char Hickory are the way to go. I personally don't notice much 'charcoal' flavor from them, but I do use them from time to time.

I sometimes keep Apple, Maple, or Maple/Apple around...  For times, when I specifically want a milder flavor....  Which might be when I'm trying to make Jerky on a summer day... at 170F... SOme pellets smolder too much and produce a flavor that's not that appealing , this is when I break out the milder flavored wood.

I use both LumberJack and Smoke Ring BBQ pellets.   Only reason I use Lumberjack, is for the 100% Mesquite, and the Charblend Hickory...   Smoke Ring doesn't offer those two types.
  • #10 by David on 03 Oct 2018
  • I use 100% hickory  Lumberjack  90% of the time
  • #11 by DE on 04 Oct 2018
  • For the longest all I used was Fast Eddy 100% Hickory. When I was a working man I traveled and would, while in KC, stop at Eddy’s shop and pick them up. I think he might only do pallet loads now.  Now I just pick up Perfect Mix locally.
  • #12 by RSNovi on 19 Jan 2019
  • I like 100% hickory.  Cookin pellets, lumberjack, and smoke ring are all solid.
  • #13 by MP09 on 19 Jan 2019
  • I like cookinpellets perfect mix and 100% hickory.  After many many cooks i've settled on perfect mix as my go to pellet.
  • #14 by sleebus.jones on 21 Jan 2019
  • FYI, tried the Lumberjack Char-Hickory last night for some steaks.  Verdict: certainly a hot pellet, got up to temp quick...however little to no flavor from them.  Won't be buying again.
  • #15 by LowSlowJoe on 29 Jan 2019
  • Funny... some people swear that Charblend Hickory give great flavor.   I'm like you and never noticed much of any flavor from them.

One time , I posted some information about me using some Charblend Hickory on something I cooked... one guy was shocked that I used them 100%, apparently people told him the flavor would be overpowering... 

I buy them now and then, I have about 6 bags right now.  I use them, specifically to get hotter temperatures fast.... and I only do that when grilling...   For the most part, when I grill, I never really notice any 'smoke' flavor anyhow, so I figure heat is better...
Pages:
Actions