Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Radar Dog on 20 Aug 2018
  • Cooking dry rub St Louis Ribs on Wednesday for Saturday meal.  What’s the best way to keep them fresh?
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Aug 2018
  • I'll be honest -- I don't think you can.  But if you are determined, then vac seal and reheat in hot water.
  • #3 by Mikro on 20 Aug 2018
  • I vacu-seal them after about a 1/2 hour rest( I cut the racks into thirds), then freeze. When ready to use,I bring a large pot of water to boil, turn off the heat then drop the frozen bags in ( sometimes I will drop the heat to low for 15mins). about 30 to 45 mins later they are at rested pit temp and as good as just off the pit.
    That's my method. Been working that way for a long time since it is only me and my wife. I will smoke 2 to 3 racks at a a time and split them up for later use.
    MK
    Ha, Kristin beat me to it. :)
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Aug 2018
  • You can refrigerate them in ziplock or in a pan.  You can then reheat in an oven at 250 in a covered pan sealed really well until they are warm enough to eat - 60-90 minutes.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 20 Aug 2018
  • I found out by accident, I had a rack of St louis ribs I did with some baby backs, and of course they were not done quite enough. I vac sealed them and put in the fridge. A few days later I took them out in the morning and set the SV Supreme to 145° and dropped them in for about 8 hours. they came out great. they longer cook help to tender them up a bit more.

The same as what others have described with the pot of water just more controlled temp. I would imagine an electric roaster with water in it and set to 150 to 200 and the bagged ribs submerged would do the same thing, and you could do more at one time. I have done bags of pulled pork like this with the roasters.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 20 Aug 2018

•  For what it's worth. At ribfests, the ribs served to the general public are precooked to save time..They are placed on the pit to warm and sauce - not my stile.
  • #7 by WannaBsmokin on 20 Aug 2018
  • I vacu-seal them after about a 1/2 hour rest( I cut the racks into thirds), then freeze. When ready to use,I bring a large pot of water to boil, turn off the heat then drop the frozen bags in ( sometimes I will drop the heat to low for 15mins). about 30 to 45 mins later they are at rested pit temp and as good as just off the pit.
    That's my method. Been working that way for a long time since it is only me and my wife. I will smoke 2 to 3 racks at a a time and split them up for later use.
    MK
    Ha, Kristin beat me to it. :)

Ditto what he said exactly. Wonderful to have a “quick” rib dinner....
  • #8 by Bentley on 20 Aug 2018
  • I guess it just depends on the person eating them, I think reheated ribs are horrible, dont care how they are reheated.  I guess you need to know the room!
  • #9 by TechMOGogy on 22 Aug 2018
  • I often do 10-16 racks at a time
    Cool, vacuum seal, freeze
    Thaw and then soups vide at 170-175 for 10-12 mins

Last Monday I did 10 racks, vacuum sealed and then in fridge until Sat.
    Reheated using same method as above and they were great

Key is vacuum seal. I have done ribs and then rpwrapped them in literally dozens of layers of plastic wrap and put in fridge. They SUCK, dry and turn grey inside (no clue why but they really do suck - fridge sucks the life out of them :)
  • #10 by Bobitis on 22 Aug 2018
  • Count me as another vac seal and water bath rejuvenator fan.

If the method works for beef, pork should be easy.
  • #11 by yorkdude on 22 Aug 2018
  • I have tried different ways to save and reheat, never any luck here.
    If we don’t finish them for dinner and think we might want a late night snack, they are in the garbage.
Pages:
Actions