Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking also on a Mak  (Read 1602 times)

zephyr

• Using less gas.
Cooking also on a Mak
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]     ....................................     ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Cooking also on a Mak
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »

I'd love to have a rotisserie in my pit but the vertical variety is the only way I can visualize it.  We've seen photos here.  It's not exactly what I want.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »

So good to see your posts again Zep!  Keep up the good work.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:50:22 PM »

I'd love to have a rotisserie in my pit but the vertical variety is the only way I can visualize it.  We've seen photos here.  It's not exactly what I want.

I'm not sure how you would get it vertical & make it turn unless you had some sort of a gearbox that was a  90°
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

Kinda like this
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »

Free Mr. Tony drilled a hole in the flat top of a PG500 and put the motor up there with the vertical spit down into the cooking area.  That's not what I'm hoping for.  I think Queball has the solution.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »

Free Mr. Tony drilled a hole in the flat top of a PG500 and put the motor up there with the vertical spit down into the cooking area.  That's not what I'm hoping for.  I think Queball has the solution.

I think I could do it fairly easy from the sides on the PG 500!  ............................   ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 12:36:17 AM »

I think I could do it fairly easy from the sides on the PG 500!  ............................   ZEP

No kidding?  As I look at it I have the hopper on the left and the chimney on the right.  Wouldn't all of that interfere?  Isn't that why FMT went vertical and Queball built something to stand inside?
Paul

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 02:12:28 AM »

No kidding?  As I look at it I have the hopper on the left and the chimney on the right.  Wouldn't all of that interfere?  Isn't that why FMT went vertical and Queball built something to stand inside?

Hard to explain with out a drawing. can mount a bracket on the inside on the left to hold the spitrod where it is grooved. On the right side there would be a small hole through the side and all the way through the chimney. On the outside of the chimney would be a wide L bracket. Another L bracket with the two legs facing up that holds the motor, would come up underneath the L bracket on the chimney and bolt on to it, maybe with wingnuts. So first you would have to slide the spit rod through all the holes and set it on the bracket on the left side of the cooker, then slide the motor all the way on the other side outside the chimney, then bring your two legged bracket up from underneath, hooking it into the motor and bolting it on the bracket on the chimney.
Mine is a little different, but you get the idea. I'll post a pic. If you buy a universal rotisserie kit from Home Depot, it comes with a lot of brackets for the spit rod. Mine is different than the ones in the kit except the motor mount one which you will have to do in two pieces to make it work, getting your rod in and out and being able to mount it tight to the motor.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:47:00 AM by zephyr »

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

When I did the pg500 I did the vertical intentionally because at the time I was fixated on making somewhat traditional style pastor tacos and gyros. It was most likely also the easiest solution. It really did work pretty well, but I could see a really well designed horizontal version being more functional.

I did a rotisserie build on my louisiana as well. Something you could do for one less hole being drilled is a high powered magnet. I bought this one at harbour freight. I was warned  that the magnet may not hold up to the heat, but I haven't moved it since I did it well over a year ago and its held up fine.

I got stainless disc magnets from harbor freight as well to cover up the hole that I drilled in the top of the pg500. If you went through the chimney with the hole,  you could use those to cover when not in use. Also, unless you wanted one,  a bracket wouldn't be a necessity to hold the motor. I use two handled magnets as in the photo to hold the motor bracket onto the metal.

So, in total, you could probably get away with just two drilled holes. One in each side of the chimney.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:25:51 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

Now ya' got me thinkin'.
Paul

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »

Now ya' got me thinkin'.

Also on the PG 500 you could put a 1" stainless tube through the right side and through the chimney and mounting your two piece motor bracket off the chimney . When not in use have a round swing door, swing down over the end of the tube on the inside of the cooker.            ...................  ZEP

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »

You could just mount a standard spit rod holder for inside the left side, different ones come in a universal kit, if you get one. I just made up my own holder. ........................  ZEP

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:14:41 PM by zephyr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up